Women's Golf Hands Out Ivy Hardware

By Dennis J. Zheng, Crimson Staff Writer

A day after a disappointing third-place finish in the Ivy League championship, the Harvard women's golf team received some consolation this morning in the form of the announcement of the league's individual awards.

The Crimson swept the two main honors, as sophomore Christine Cho was named Ivy League Player of the Year, while freshman Katie Sylvan was named the Rookie of the Year based on voting by the league’s seven head coaches.

Last year's Ivy Rookie of the Year, Cho led the team in scoring average her second time around, posting a 76.13 average and placing first on the team in three tournaments this season.

One-hundredth of a stroke behind Cho in scoring average, Sylvan was a highly-touted recruit who lived up to lofty expectations in her first collegiate season with consistently strong performances all year.

Based on their individual finishes in the league championship, Sylvan and Cho also earned spots on the All-Ivy teams. A placement in a tie for fourth yesterday garnered Sylvan a spot on the first team, while Cho's eighth place finish earned her second-team honors.

Joining Cho on the All-Ivy second team was captain Claire Sheldon, who finished among the league championship's top 10 for the third time in her career.

Women's GolfSports Blog