Women's Lax Falls Short of Tourney

Freshman Jennifer VanderMeulen and the women's lacrosse team came up just short of a tournament bid.
By Martin Kessler, Crimson Staff Writer

Following yesterday’s 18-10 trouncing of Columbia, the Harvard women’s lacrosse team had done all it could do for itself to earn one of four playoff berths in the Ivy League Tournament.

After getting the job done in New York, the Crimson’s fate now lay in the hands of two conference rivals. If No. 6 Penn and No. 7 Dartmouth came away with victories the next day, Harvard would sneak into the fourth spot.

But unfortunately for Harvard, Princeton’s upset of the Big Green in overtime this afternoon will keep the Crimson on the outside of the Ivy League’s inaugural postseason tournament.

With its 11-10 victory over Dartmouth, Princeton improved to 4-3 in conference play, putting the Tigers one game ahead of the 3-4 Crimson in the conference standings. If Princeton had lost its final Ivy match, Harvard would have won the tiebreaker due to its superior record against the top three finishers.

Cornell, which ended league play today with 12-5 win over Yale, finishes third and will take on Dartmouth in the tournament’s first round. Meanwhile, the Tigers will travel to regular-season champion Penn for their opening-round matchup.

While the Crimson may be out of the running for the Ancient Eight championship, the team still has business to take care of. Harvard plays its final match of the season against Boston College May 5 at Harvard Stadium.

Women's LacrosseSports Blog