Harvard Water Polo Coach Farrar Resigns

By B. Marjorie Gullick and Madeleine Smith, Crimson Staff Writers

After six years as the head water polo coach for the Harvard men’s and women’s teams, Erik Farrar is stepping down. Farrar announced his resignation this afternoon after coaching the men’s team to four top-three Northern Division finishes and the women to an additional four top-three finishes before the division contracted to just three teams this season.

Despite his success with the Crimson squads, Farrar said that he would be leaving to pursue goals outside of the sport.

In addition to recruiting some of the top student-athletes in the country, Farrar has coached a number of men and women who, under his guidance, have received Collegiate Water Polo Association All-Conference, All-American, All-Academic, and All-Northern Division team honors. To emphasize Farrar’s encouragement of academic achievement, over 80 of his athletes have been named to the CWPA Scholar-Athlete teams.

Farrar’s career in the sport began in the Ivy League as a player at Brown, during the 1980s. He went on to lead both the Bears’ men’s and women’s squads, serving as an assistant and head coach.

His time at Brown is just part of the 35-season coaching career and legacy Farrar leaves behind.

Known for promoting excellence both inside the pool and out, Farrar will be missed by his players, the Athletic Department, and Harvard community.

Men's Water PoloWomen's Water PoloSports Blog