Crimson Softball Splits, Forces Game Three of ILCS

By Brian A. Campos, Crimson Staff Writer

There will be a last stand.

With two out, two on, and the season on the line, it was a senior who came up with a clutch home run that propelled the Harvard softball team into a decisive third game in the Ivy League Championship Series.

The Crimson and Cornell split today’s games, forcing a rubber match that will take place tomorrow afternoon at 12:30 pm in Ithaca.

After losing the first game, 3-1, Harvard was down, 2-1, going into the bottom of the eighth in today’s nightcap. On a 2-2 count, sophomore Whitney Shaw grounded out to third base, adding a bit of pressure to the other hitters. Freshman Jessica Ferri was quickly struck out, leaving the Crimson with only one out left. But sophomore Mari Zumbro singled, kickstarting the offense and bringing up senior Jessica Pledger.

In what could have been her last at-bat in a Harvard uniform, Pledger belted out a single to third base that allowed Zumbro to advance to second. Senior Jen Francis followed with a home run to straightaway center to walk off with the 4-2 win.

As soon as the senior circled the bases, a huge mob was waiting to start the celebration. But it’s too early to really celebrate, with an Ivy title and a trip to the NCAA tournament at stake tomorrow.

SoftballSports Blog