Running—Barefoot—For a Cause

By Rina L. Perrault, Crimson Staff Writer

Yesterday the Harvard College Alliance for Africa held the third annual Fast Tracks for Africa 5k race on the Charles River bike path to benefit the Harvard Pemja Scholarship Fund. One of Harvard's very own professors of Human Evolutionary Biology, Dan Lieberman, centers his research in his skeletal biology lab on the benefits of running barefoot in contrast to runner who use typical modern running shoes. According to Lieberman’s website, these modern shoes have features such as “built-up heels, stiff soles and arch support.”

His work has led him to the Pemja Primary School in the Western Rift Province of Kenya. The proceeds of this weekend's run will help to support the Scholarship Fund’s goal of sponsoring children at the Pemja Primary School so that they can continue on to higher education.

During this weekend's race, all runners were welcomed, but barefoot running was encouraged. After the race was finished, Professor Lieberman, as well as other experienced barefoot runners, stayed to give tips to other runners who were interested in getting involved in the sport.

For people who are interested in getting involved with barefoot running but didn't get the chance to get involved with the Fast Tracks race, Professor Lieberman's lab website serves as a resource for information on getting started. Lieberman is also involved with the Harvard Marathon Challenge and regularly can been seen around Cambridge running barefoot—even without the excuse of an organized barefoot race.

Sports Blog