Magic of Numbers: Betting on Hurricane Earl

By Kate Leist, Crimson Staff Writer

Each Thursday, The Crimson will compile a series of unique statistics about Harvard's sports scene. Welcome to the Magic of Numbers—without the problem sets. We'll do the math for you.

NO FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

70 — Percent chance of rain at 7 pm tomorrow, thanks to Hurricane Earl.

1:00 — New time for the Crimson women’s soccer season opener against Long Island.

BREAKING THE STREAK

5 — The number of times Stanford has beaten the men’s soccer team. Harvard has never defeated the Cardinal.

0 — Wins No. 13 Stanford has this year, after being upset in overtime by Vermont, 2-1, yesterday.

150 — The number of free t-shirts that will be given out to students who attend the Crimson-Cardinal matchup on Saturday night.

SISTER ACT

2 — Number of McGillivray sisters on the Harvard field hockey team. Georgia, a junior back, has started all 34 games in her Crimson career, while younger sister Bridget, a freshman, is also a back who played for Canada’s U-17 team at the Pan American Cup this year.

2 — Number of games Harvard field hockey will play at home this weekend. The Crimson faces Holy Cross on Saturday and Bryant on Monday.

LEADING THE CHARGE

6 — Number of preseason honors accumulated by football captain and safety Collin Zych. He’s been named to three preseason All-America teams and received three preseason Ivy Defensive Player of the Year nods.

12 — Number of pass breakups Zych recorded last season, tops in the Ivy League. He also led the conference in passes defended (14) and ranked third in solo tackles (53).

Sports Blog