Women's Soccer Receives Personnel Boost

By Martin Kessler, Crimson Staff Writer

Fans of college sports know that injuries are something that every team must deal with over the course of a season. With that being said, the Harvard women’s soccer team has been plagued by more than its fair share of ailments, as only three players have managed to start all eight games for the Crimson.

From missing its leading goal scorer to its starting goalkeeper, the Crimson has had to deal with health issues all this season. But things are beginning to look up for Harvard heading into the heart of Ivy League play.

For one, after it started the season with just one healthy returning starter, the Crimson’s defense is finally starting to resemble the 2009 edition that won the Ivy League championship. Sophomore defender Taryn Kurcz is back after missing the first five games of the season while senior Katie Kuzma—who is also a Crimson sports editor—saw the field for the first time this year in the squad’s fifth game. Since their return to the field, Harvard has gone 2-1.

Offensively, Harvard has also gotten back the services of some of its top producers. Co-captain Katherine Sheeleigh—the team’s leading goal scorer from 2009—missed the Crimson’s third and fourth games with a minor injury, but has since returned. In her four games back, Sheeleigh has tried to make up for lost time, recording three goals and two assists.

Freshman Peyton Johnson has also had success in her two games back since being sidelined for contests against Boston University and Rhode Island, as she scored a goal in Harvard’s 3-2 win over UMass last Sunday.

But Harvard is still missing a key component of its team—sophomore goalie AJ Millet. After starting in net for the Crimson in its first four contests, Millet went down with an undisclosed injury in practice prior to the team’s Sept. 16 match-up against Boston University.

Freshman Jessica Wright has filled in for Millet, helping Harvard go 2-2 in its past four contests, but the squad hopes it can have Millet back in time for its Ivy League contest against Yale this Saturday.

Women's SoccerSports Blog