The Fab Five: Harvard’s Top Fall Athletic Teams, Week 6

By James D. McCaffrey, Contributing Writer

The top five in last week's power rankings did not fail to impress last weekend. With just a few more games remaining in the fall season, a few teams are really making some noise in the Ivy League.

5. Winter Sports Hype

Ok, this isn’t a team by any stretch of the imagination. But with student tickets to the men’s hockey home opener against Princeton on Friday nearly impossible to obtain—Who doesn’t like free?—the official start of the winter athletic season is just around the corner. Get excited.

4. Men’s Tennis

The Crimson's young guns were on full display at Harvard’s Halloween Invitational last weekend.  Four Crimson freshmen advanced to the A-flight semifinals, with Alex Steinroeder defeating Denis Nguyen in the championship match. With the women’s team getting most of the attention this fall, the men definitely deserve some recognition.

Previous ranking: Unranked

3. Co-ed Sailing

The sailors finished second at the originally-named 70th Erwin Schell Trophy last weekend. With the performance, the team qualified for the Atlantic Coast Championship.

Previous Rank: 3

2. Women’s Soccer (11-4-1, 5-0-1 Ivy)

With a 2-1 victory over Dartmouth on Saturday, the Crimson has clinched the league title and can claim outright possession of the championship with a win or tie at Columbia this weekend. At least half of the Harvard soccer community is winning.

Previous Rank: 2

1. Football (6-1, 4-0 Ivy)

I guess the hallmark of this year’s team is its unshakable ability to break the most bizarre of school records. With a 41-10 victory over Dartmouth on Saturday, the Crimson has extended its streak of scoring 40 or more points to four games for the first time in 121 years. The defense deserves some attention too, as it held the Big Green to only 234 total yards of offense.

FootballSailingWomen's SoccerMen's TennisSports Blog