Scouting the Area: New York, N.Y.

By Alexa N. Gellman, Contributing Writer

This weekend, Harvard athletics is traveling to arguably the best college town in the world: New York City. That is, if you can even call the Big Apple a college town.

Crimson football, men’s soccer, women’s soccer, women's volleyball, and field hockey are all making the trip to Columbia this weekend to take on the Lions on their home turf.

Because Columbia’s campus is uptown, and its athletic complex is even further uptown, it makes sense to stay in the area.  Here are some suggested spots, all north of 90th Street, that are worth checking out:

1.  Fall Treats

If you like fall inspired foods, the Upper East Side is the right place to be. Sarabeth’s (1295 Madison Avenue between 92nd and 93rd Streets) has an outrageous pumpkin waffle that is served with honey, raisins, nuts and sour cream. Yura on Madison (1292 Madison Avenue between 91st and 92nd Streets) sells a pumpkin pie that was voted the best in New York City.

2.  Columbia Favorite

V & T pizzeria (1024 Amsterdam Avenue between 110th and 111th Streets) is a favorite of the Columbia University community. This 60-year-old institution is conveniently located right off campus and serves outstanding pizza.

3. Gossip Girl

Whether you are willing to admit it or not, the CW’s Gossip Girl is a guilty pleasure.  The show films in real New York City locations as it attempts to tell the stories of “Manhattan’s elite.”

If you want to see the shooting sites of the show’s ficticious prep schools, check out the Museum of the City of New York (1220 Fifth Avenue between 103rd and 104th Streets) or the Synod of Bishops (75 East 93rd Street). The Cooper-Hewitt Museum (2 East 91st Street) was the sight of Lily van der Woodsen’s wedding at the end of the first season.

Who knows, you might just run encounter Blake Lively on your journey.

Sports Blog