Even though Harvard, the country's No. 2 ranked women’s squash team, is coming off a tough loss to No. 1 Yale in the national championship, the squad must now prepare for the CSA Individual Championships from March 4-6. The Back Page gives you an opportunity to meet the team’s captain, Alisha Mashruwala. In this exclusive interview, Mashruwala reveals her pre-match playlist, her desire to be taller, and which tennis pro she would like to go on a date with. Every week, The Full-Court Press will give you the sort of personal scoop that you’re not likely to hear at a typical press conference.
Name: Alisha Mashruwala
Stats: So far this season, Mashruwala has gone 8-5, mostly playing at No. 3. Last year, Mashruwala finished 10-5 overall as she helped her squad win a national title and was named to the All-America Second Team. In her first two seasons, she went a combined 24-5.
1. Typical pre-game meal.
All forms of carbs.
2. List four songs you listen to before games to get pumped up.
"Remember the Name" by Fort Minor, "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, "I Made It" by Kevin Rudolf, and "All I Do Is Win" by DJ Khaled.
3. Favorite team to play against and why?
Princeton and Yale--relish the competition.
4. Most ridiculous thing that has taken place in your team's locker room.
Freshmen DHA dance to Miley Cyrus’ “Party in the USA.”
5. Most embarrassing moment you've had on the court.
Opponent's racket getting stuck in my skirt that eventually led to her spinning me around.
6. Animal that best represents your style of play and why.
A bull--we are both fast and attacking.
7. The most ridiculous thing you've heard a fan yell at a game you were playing in.
"Use your height." (I am just about 5 feet tall.)
"Go back and charge your computer, Harvard."
8. If you could play for another sports team at Harvard, which would it be and why?
Basketball because, like I said, I'm about 5 feet tall.
9. Position you would play in Quidditch.
10. If you could go on a date with any professional athlete, who would it be?