Biega and Men's Hockey Step Up Late in Season

By Ralph Haro, Contributing Writer

Even though Harvard’s men’s hockey team has struggled earlier in the season, the squad has been holding its own and impressing many in the past week. Sophomore defensemen Danny Biega put up a series of impressive performances, winning Inside College Hockey National Player of the Week, ECAC Hockey MLX Skates Player of the Week, and Harvard COOP Athlete of the Week.

The Quebec-native, whose brother also plays on the team, has posted a goal in four-straight games, while adding five assists and nine points. In this four-game span, the Crimson finished off the 59th annual Beanpot in third place after beating rival No. 15 Boston University, 5-4. The game featured Biega scoring the tying goal with four minutes left in the final period. On the road against Cornell, Harvard finished off the Big Red, 4-3, with a game-winning goal by Biega 12:27 into the final period.

After a tough loss on the road to Colgate, 2-1, in which Biega scored the only Crimson goal, Harvard defeated longtime rival Brown, 2-1, in the 158th meeting of the two teams. Not surprisingly, Biega scored the decisive shot in the first period that helped the Crimson hold on for the win.

With the final games of the regular season coming at home against Clarkson and St. Lawrence this weekend, Harvard has a great chance to improve their current 11th place standing in the ECAC.

Men's Ice HockeySports Blog