The Full Court Press: Adam Riegel

When Adam Riegel isn't posing as the first "a" in Harvard, he's playing defensive tackle for the football team.
By Alex Sopko, Crimson Staff Writer

Last Saturday’s men’s basketball game against Princeton showcased the athletic prowess of sophomore Kyle Casey, the determination of junior Keith Wright, and the ball-handling skills of classmate Oliver McNally and sophomore Brandyn Curry. But there was another standout on Saturday: the Crimson fans.

This week, the Full Court Press REMIX introduces you to sophomore Adam Riegel, a self-described “Superfan” and part of the football cheering core. In addition to his love of being half-naked and cheering on the men’s basketball team, Riegel also enjoys watching Yale and Princeton suffer. Every week, The Full Court Press gives you the sort of personal scoop that you’re not likely to hear at a typical press conference.

Name: Adam Riegel

Year: 2013

Stats: A sophomore from Walpole, Mass. the Adams resident and self-declared food expert is a defensive tackle for the Harvard football team. Riegel is also proud to be the “A” in the football team’s body painted “Harvard.”

Bring it on!

1. Typical meal before cheering at Lavietes pavilion.

Man that's tough. As a Superfan, I like to think of myself as a food aficionado, but to be honest I usually crush a big-time pre-game nap and then I just grab two slices of Noch's seasoned with a hint of "tiger blood" to ensure that extra zest in my cheering.

2. Favorite men's basketball player and why.

This year's senior class is incredible. You don't see them around much, but they are definitely quiet leaders...

3. Favorite Harvard chant.

The first ever "I believe," done by Jonathan Mason at the Cornell game. Unreal.

4. Dance team or cheerleading team?

Student section.

5. Dancer or cheerleader?

Dancer; I do enough cheering myself.

6. Favorite team to cheer against and why.

Yale. They always bring a solid student section so the back-and-forth can be pretty fun. Plus, it’s always a good time beating Yale and letting them know it the entire game.

7. Animal that best represents your style of cheer and why.

Definitely the poison dart frog. It’s interesting, good to look at, and you're always surprised by what comes out of its mouth.

8. Most ridiculous thing you've yelled at a game.

"Get this game under control ref! It's like a jail shower out there!"

9. Best insult you've heard at a game.

To be honest I don't have a clue. Different people come up with creative things every single game. Half of them don't even make sense, but as long as they get the other team's attention then they are good insults. Once one of the students said something while a player was shooting a free throw, and his own teammates started laughing at him. That's when you know you're doing it right.

9. Position you would play in Quidditch.

Superfan in the stands right next to Cedric Diggory and Luna Lovegood. It's what I do.

10. If you could go on a date with any Harvard athlete (past or present), who would it be and where would you take him/her?

The only option for a date would be courtside seats at Harvard's next men's home game. Lively atmosphere, energy flowing, it would definitely set the mood right. Who I would take, well that's a whole different issue.

Men's BasketballSports BlogThe Full Court Press