Weekend Preview: Back to Work

By Kobi Rex, Contributing Writer

After a long winter season, three of the four Harvard crew teams will have their first competitions this weekend.

Tomorrow, the men’s lightweight crew and women’s heavyweight and lightweight crew teams compete in their first races since the fall season.

The women’s heavyweight crew will have its hands full with Tulsa, as the visitors are coming off a great performance at the Oklahoma Invitational. The Golden Hurricanes swept all three of their varsity races against SMU in a strong start to the spring season.

The men’s lightweight crew team faces off against Delaware at 9:12 am tomorrow. The Blue Hen squad is actually not a varsity sport at Delaware, and so the Crimson will race against the Blue Hen club team this weekend.

Another water sport that has a busy weekend ahead is sailing, which has four races this weekend. The sailing team faces off for two coveted awards this weekend: the Women’s Toni Deutsch Trophy at MIT and the Harry Anderson Trophy. Besides these two races, the squad will race in the Boston University Invitational and the 82nd-annual Boston Dinghy Club Cup.

Following with the aquatic theme, the women’s water polo team squares off against Wagner this Sunday at 2 pm. After a tough spring break during which the Crimson lost five of six games, Harvard hopes to capitalize with a win over the Seahawks, an opponent Harvard beat twice last year.

A team having much more success this season is men's lacrosse, which travels to Dartmouth tomorrow. The Crimson has started out the season at 5-1 for one of the best starts in program history.

It will be interesting to see how several Crimson squads performance this weekend with the added stress of classes starting up after the break.

Men's CrewWomen's CrewMen's LacrosseWomen's Water PoloSports Blog