A Look at Recent Trends in Harvard Sports

By Cameron Dowd, Contributing Writer

With some seasons just coming to an end and others picking up speed, Crimson athletics are feeling the ups and downs of collegiate competition.

THE GOOD

Men's Fencing

The team won 14 straight matchups before ending its season by taking home four medals in the NCAA Northeast Region Championship and placing fourth in the NCAA Championships.

During the streak, Harvard took also home the Ivy League and Beanpot titles.

The Crimson won all five of its Ivy League Championship matchups, capping the tournament with a title-clinching victory against Yale on Feb. 13, downing the Bulldogs, 14-13.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

Harvard charged out of the blocks, reeling off nine consecutive wins, topped off by a 266-87 trouncing of Yale on Jan. 30, to start the season .

After a hard-battled meet, the squad took home second place in the Ivy League after falling only 5.5 points short of the champion Princeton team.

The Crimson divers also distinguished themselves with three representatives in the NCAA Zone Diving Championships.

Sophomore Michael Stanton finished 13th in the one-meter final and 16th in the three-meter final, while freshman Joe Zarrella came in behind his teammate with a 16th-place finish in the one-meter final. Senior Zac Ranta also took 13th in the three-meter final.

THE NOT SO GOOD

Baseball

The team has lost seven out of its last nine games. And those losses coupled with another nine-game skid at the start of the season, including sweeps by Jacksonville State, Wofford, and Charlotte, have made for a tough season so far.

The Charlotte sweep was a particularly rough weekend with the Harvard lineup being outscored 16-2 over the three-game series.

On the plus side, the Crimson managed to pull out a pair of wins in last weekend's series against NYIT.

Men’s Volleyball

After an impressive 6-1 start to the season, Harvard looked poised to have a strong year.

But five straight losses have put a damper on the once-promising season. And with only five matchups left on the schedule the Crimson is running out of time for redemption.

BaseballFencingMen's SwimmingMen's VolleyballSports Blog