Tweets of the Week: Hurricane Sandy

By Blake Sundel, Crimson Staff Writer

Is this really what the Mayans were so worried about?  We were expecting something more along the lines of death and destruction, but we’re cool with this no class thing.

By now you’ve probably heard of that nice young lady named Sandy. She made history on Sunday night when she caused classes to be cancelled, resulting in a near-stampede in Lamont. She even shut down schools and public transportation from here to Washington, D.C.

Needless to say, Sandy is currently the most popular girl on the East Coast. She’s triggered a storm of tweets, including some from Harvard’s athletes.  Here are a few to fill up all that extra time.

1) Harvard erupted in joy when Dean Hammonds cancelled class on Sunday. Most people reacted like junior defensive end Austin Taylor:

“SUNDAY FUNDAY ‪#Sandy”

Cancelling classes is impressive, but turning Sunday into a Funday is downright impossible. Sandy should definitely put that accomplishment on her resume.

2) It appears that Sandy hasn’t won everybody’s hearts. TJ Laurish, a freshman on the baseball team, couldn’t believe that his practice didn’t get cancelled.

“Lift is still on at 7:00 with this hurricane? You got to be kidding me.”

Harvard baseball goes hard, TJ.  Didn’t you see the Call Me Maybe Video?

3) TJ’s teammate, sophomore outfielder Mike Martin, didn’t know what to say about the new girl on the block.

“I was going to make a hurricane joke but I couldn't think of one that didn't blow. Monday classes cancelled! ‪#hoorah”

Speaking of jokes, do you think the Columbia football team is laughing right now while they do a rain dance in hopes that they don’t play Harvard on Saturday? Because this is probably how Sandy makes them feel.

4) Junior attackman Danny Eipp has a question for meteorologists:

“If it's supposed to rain horizontally tomorrow we wont get wet, right? ‪#wishfulthinking”

Sure, Danny, and it’s also cloudy with a chance of meatballs.  Here’s our question for Dean Hammonds, who, like every other meteorologist in the Boston area, might have been a little hasty with her weather predictions: since the precedent has been set to cancel classes when it rains, does this mean that whenever it pours we won’t have school?

Those are your tweets of the week. As Sandy tears through the Eastern seaboard, she is leaving a huge mark on Twitter, too. Clearly she is an “Act of God.”

Sports Blog