Athlete of the Week: Honorable Mentions

By David Freed, Contributing Writer

Although the women’s hockey goalies Laura Bellamy and Emerance Maschmeyer may have gotten this week’s The Crimson’s Athlete of the Week award, plenty of other Harvard athletes submitted excellent performances over the last week that merited recognition of their own.

Colton Chapple, Football

Although lifted before the second half began, senior quarterback Colton Chapple played well in his thirty minutes of work—contributing four touchdowns in the team’s 69-0 victory over the Columbia Lions. Chapple tossed three touchdown passes in the game’s first five minutes and had only five incompletions en route to racking up 213 yards of total offense. Chapple has 21 total touchdowns in the season and his 273 yards per game through the air rank this season, second only to Cornell’s Jeff Mathews.

Kyle Criscuolo, Men’s Hockey

Over the weekend freshman forward Kyle Criscuolo added two goals and an assist as the team split decisions against Brown and Yale. Criscuolo scored the only goal for the 13th-ranked Crimson as Harvard dropped a 5-1 decision against the Bulldogs on Saturday, and his goal proved to be the difference as the team topped Brown 3-2 on Friday night. Criscuolo has twelve shots on goal for the season, eight in conference play.

Brooke Dickens, Women’s Soccer

With the Harvard women’s soccer team in danger of going into overtime against Columbia, freshman forward Brooke Dickens took the game into her own hands. Collecting a pass from senior forward Aisha Price at the top of the penalty box, Dickens tapped the ball past the Lions goalkeeper and headed the ball into the back of the net with five seconds left. It was Dickens’ first goal of the season, and it sent the team’s seniors off with a win, the last of the 39 they helped the Crimson to over the past four years.

Sarah Edney, Women’s Hockey

Sophomore defender Sarah Edney helped lead Harvard to a pair of wins over the weekend against Ancient Eight foes Brown and Yale. Edney chipped in three assists against Yale, a 4-0 victory that brought the sixth-ranked Crimson to 5-0 on the season. Edney has five total assists so far and posted her third straight game of positive plus/minus against Yale, finishing with a +2 on the game and a +7 in her last three contests.

Chris Splinter, Football

While the big story of the game was the way the Harvard offense played, senior defensive back Chris Splinter led the Crimson defense as it smothered a struggling Columbia attack. Splinter had two interceptions—his third and fourth of the season—that he returned deep into Columbia territory to create short fields for the opposition. Splinter helped the Crimson hold the Lions to 149 yards of total offense, including -19 total rushing yards.

Damani Wilson, Football

In only eight carries of work, junior running back Damani Wilson—who doubles as one of the team’s defensive backs—contributed 121 yards and two touchdowns. Wilson broke two long scoring runs in the second half in which he sprinted past Lion defenders, including a 43-yard scamper that provided the game’s final score. Wilson averaged 15 yards per rush—nearly twice what he had rushed for as a whole before Saturday’s game.

FootballMen's Ice HockeyWomen's Ice HockeyWomen's Soccer