Hanson Weighs In on Lin's Impact on Harvard Athletics

The meteoric rise of Jeremy Lin '10 has garnered additional publicity for all of Harvard athletics.
By Peter G. Cornick, Crimson Staff Writer

Thanks to Jeremy Lin's sudden emergence as a sports and pop culture juggernaut in the past two weeks, Harvard athletics have also been receiving far more attention lately. After all, it's been nearly 60 years since a Crimson hooper suited up for an NBA team.

So what do current Harvard athletes think of Lin’s meteoric rise? To get an athlete’s perspective, we at The Back Page caught up with senior cornerback Matt Hanson.

Hanson, a unanimous first-team All-Ivy selection for his strong 2011 campaign for the Harvard football team, has long been a supporter of the Harvard basketball team. Hanson is a common presence in the stands during home basketball games, as he and other football players have catalyzed fan support around campus. Additionally, the senior has reportedly received looks from NFL scouts.

Through his unique perspective, he was able to give us some interesting insight into the "Linsanity" gripping the campus.

The Back Page: Have you been following sports any more than usual now that Jeremy Lin is as big as he is with the Knicks?

Matt Hanson: I’ve kept my sports viewing essentially the same, except I’ve been watching a lot more Knicks games. I mean, I’m a pretty big sports fan, but I’ve definitely watched the past three Knicks games, which I have never done before.

TBP: How do you think this phenomenon has affected Harvard Athletics as a whole?

MH: I think it’s huge when you get a spotlight on any program. It brings in a lot more fans from the outside world that normally wouldn’t watch a Harvard basketball game or a Harvard hockey match. So when you have a lot more outside participation, it’s good publicity-wise and probably money-wise for the programs.

TBP: Do you have a favorite Lin pun?

MH: I don’t know. I think some of them have been pretty racist in my opinion, so I try to hold off on them a little bit. I’m just excited for everything he’s going through, and I’m really excited for him personally.

TBP: What does it mean as an athlete to see another athlete from Harvard succeed on the highest level?

MH: It’s awesome. We come here knowing it’s the ultimate combination of athletics and academics, and to see Jeremy Lin go on and prove how good Harvard athletes can be is awesome for the people that are here and the people that aspire to go on to that next level.

Men's BasketballFootballAlumni