Men's Basketball Releases Home Schedule

By Alexander Koenig, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATED 3:10 P.M. ET

The Harvard men’s basketball team announced most of its 2012-13 home schedule today, with season tickets going on sale on the Athletic Department’s website.

There are no surprises in Ivy League play. Harvard and Dartmouth remain traveling partners, and all the other partnerships have stayed the same.

But the last home-weekend of the season figures to be far less exciting than those of recent years. Two years ago, Harvard beat Princeton in the last home-game of the season to capture a share of the Ivy League title and force a tie-breaker in New Haven. Last year, a Saturday night loss to Penn, following a three-point victory over the Tigers, made for nerve-racking theater as the eventual-champion Crimson saw its bid to maintain the nation’s second longest home-winning streak fall by the way side.

This year, that fateful last weekend will feature visits from Cornell and Columbia. The two New York teams figure to be better than they were last year—when both finished in the bottom of half of the Ancient Eight—but will likely fail to create the same drama as the killer P’s.

In non-conference action, the season opens with cross-town Division III rival MIT making its customary visit to Lavietes on Friday, Nov. 9. Later that month, Vermont travels to Cambridge after Harvard beat the Catamounts, 55-48, in Burlington last season.

Fordham will also visit Cambridge, trying to repeat its shocking victory over the Crimson that knocked Harvard out of the top 25 last January.

Boston University, Holy Cross, and Rice round out the non-conference schedule.

Season tickets for non-Harvard students range from $150 for students and youth to $295 for adults.

Though the full away schedule still hasn't been finalized, rumors have floated around about some high profile opponents. The release of the Memphis Tigers' official schedule confirms that the Crimson will be playing the Tigers, who have appeared in eight of the last nine NCAA tournaments, on January 19.

Men's BasketballSports BlogDepartment of Athletics