ALUMNI TRACKER: Lin in Houston, "Fitzmagic" Is Back

By Juliet Spies-Gans, Crimson Staff Writer

This week, like all weeks in Harvard sports, can and will be distinguished from others by a pun: The Linterim is almost over.

The next six days mark the last before NBA training camps begin, meaning that Jeremy Lin ’10 and his Houston Rockets hold their first practices of the season in the Rio Grande Valley on Monday. That will mark Lin’s first chance to officially play with his new teammates after signing with the Rockets on July 14th. Lin, though, has already expressed his comfort with the new city and organization, tweeting this week: “1) people in texas are SO nice. 2) i got a bed. 3) @ChandlerParsons couch was nice. 4) his pantry was even better.”

Given what happened the last time Lin slept on a teammate’s couch, Linsanity 2.0 may be soon arriving in the Houston area.

Ryan Fitzpatrick ’05, though, made sure that the Lin’s upcoming return to action wasn’t the only news in the Crimson alumni athletic circle. Fitzpatrick and his Buffalo Bills made headlines this weekend as they won their first game outside of Buffalo since game one of the 2011 season.

"We won on the road—we got that monkey off our back," said Fitzpatrick after Sunday’s game. "This is a new year and a new team."

Fitzpatrick completed 22 of 35 passes on the day, totaling 208 yards and three touchdowns. This game also marked the second straight week in which Fitzpatrick did not throw an interception.

Meanwhile, Matt Birk ’98 also had a stake in this weekend’s gridiron affairs. His Baltimore Ravens pulled out a last-second victory, 31-30, over the New England Patriots, thanks to a 27-yard field goal by rookie Justin Tucker. The Ravens are now 2-1 on the season.

The Crimson alums in the hockey world, however, saw less action than their NFL counterparts in the last few days due to the NHL lockout. After not talking for a week and a half, the NHL and the NHLPA met on Monday to attempt negotiations, but neither side walked away having made progress. It’s now Day 10 of the lockout and the stalemate continues.

So, for the likes of Louis LeBlanc, formerly ’13, Craig Adams ’99, and Dominic Moore ’03, and Alex Killorn ’12, along with Michael and Alex Biega, ’10 and ’11, respectively, all there is to do for the moment is sit back and watch “Fitzmagic” heave it to the end zone and Linsanity begin once more.

Here’s to a new season filled with pass completions, three pointers, and puns abound.

Men's BasketballFootballMen's Ice Hockey