Golden Globes: Crimson Edition

By Brenna R. Nelsen, Crimson Staff Writer

Its that time of year again…

Yes, it’s the NFL playoffs. But if you kept watching CBS after the Patriots-Texans game, you probably caught a glimpse of the Golden Globes and realized it’s awards season as well. With Argo and Les Mis winning big last night, the SAG Awards less than two weeks away, and the Oscars in sight shortly after the Super Bowl, it’s only fitting that The Back Page sees who brings home the hardware amongst Harvard’s cast and crew.

Best Actor (Male Athlete): Colton Chapple.

CFPA Quarterback Award, George “Bulger” Lowe Award, Asa S. Bushnell Cup, Division I FCS Gold Helmet. Chapple is raking in the year’s top honors after a stellar senior season. He was a shoe-in to win this one as well.

Best Actress (Female Athlete): Jillian Dempsey

The forward gets the nod based on her outstanding performance anchoring the Crimson to its 13-1-1 start this year. In her swan song season, she leads with a team-high 18 goals and 16 assists.

Breakthrough Performance of the Year: Siyani Chambers

The freshman has stolen the show with his play thus far this season. He’s averaging 13.3 points per game and has dished out a team-high 6.0 assists per contest. They say big actors demand big roles, and Chambers has no problem stepping up in the most critical moments. He hit the game-winning shot with four seconds left in the Crimson’s battle with BU, and the rookie put up nine points in the final seven minutes of Harvard’s game against Dartmouth to spur a comeback victory.

Best Director: Kathy Delaney-Smith

Now in her 31st season at the helm of the women’s basketball team, Delany-Smith has orchestrated an effective offense in the absence of graduated senior Brogan Berry. The Crimson is off to a 10-5 start this season and just clinched its first conference win, topping Dartmouth in the Ivy opener.

Best Supporting Cast: Harvard football

Chapple’s performance would not have been so memorable without the added help of senior Trevor Scales, senior Kyle Juszczyk, and company. And as a bonus, football gets the nod for its continued support of the men’s and women’s basketball teams. Here’s to filling out the front bleachers at Lavietes every home game.

Best Performance (Drama): Harvard hockey’s 6-5 OT win against BU

The plot had all the good components of an unfolding drama: a sibling showdown, a crosstown rivalry, a cliffhanger after regulation. It was indeed dramatic, but in the end, the Crimson walked (or skated) away victorious. Down 5-2 going into the third period, Harvard mounted a comeback for the ages, tying it up in regulation and putting it away with less than a minute to go in overtime.

Best Performance (Comedy): The Columbia men’s football team

A 69-0 loss. A grand total of eight first downs. -19 rushing yards. Now that’s live comedy at its finest.

Best Original Screenplay: A Late Night Escape in Taipei

Best Adapted Screenplay: Harvard Baseball’s “Call Me Maybe”

Men's BasketballFootballMen's Ice HockeyWomen's Ice Hockey