Brothers to Battle on National Television

By David Steinbach, Crimson Staff Writer

When the Harvard men’s hockey team faces off with No. 8 Boston University on Wednesday night at Agganis Arena, not just a win, but also bragging rights, will be at stake for a pair of brothers. Sophomore forward Tommy O’Regan, who plays for the Crimson, and freshman forward Danny O’Regan, a member of the Terriers, will face off at the collegiate level for the first time.

Both O’Regan brothers, who were teammates at St. Sebastian’s School just a half hour’s drive from Cambridge, have played important roles on their respective college squads.

Tommy has been one of Harvard’s main contributors so far this season. Although he has only one goal, the forward is tied for first on the team in assists with six. All seven of Tommy’s points came within a seven-game stretch.

In just his first season, Danny has also made a splash with the Boston University offense. The freshman is tied for second on his team with five goals, and his 11 points are tied for fourth on a Terrier squad that has played five more games than the Crimson.

In an article in Monday’s Boston Herald, the O’Regan brothers revealed that while there has been an absence of trash talk between the two leading up to the game, humor might end up playing a role in the contest.

“That’s been the running joke, that I make [Danny] laugh,” [Tommy] said in the article. “My grandfather has been saying that I’m going to go up against him in a faceoff and make him laugh and then steal the puck.”

The O’Regan family’s ties to the game don’t end with the two boys. Tom O’Regan, the father of Tommy and Danny, was born in Cambridge, starred for Boston University, and even won the team’s MVP award in 1983. The father claims he will be an impartial observer come Wednesday night.

Tune into NBC Sports Network Wednesday night at 7 p.m. to see some good old-fashioned brotherly competition at the college level.

Men's Ice Hockey