Harvard Athletes on the National Stage

By Julian Ryan, Contributing Writer

This weekend has seen Crimson athletes in action on the national scene. Junior Rebecca Nadler tried her hand at defending her title in skiing this week and three female athletes competed at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Arkansas, marking the first time since 2009 that Harvard has sent women to the championships. As these sportswomen return to campus, the Crimson looks ahead to other athletes seeking national success in the month of March.

Wrestling

The Harvard team has just finished competing at the 2013 EIWA Championships and on Mar. 21 several athletes will be travelling to Iowa to strive for national glory. Leading the pack will be All-American Steven Keith. The Senior’s 102 career wins currently rank him seventh in Harvard history and he will be looking to build off his eighth place finish in 2012.

Fencing

This Sunday Mar. 10 will see Harvard’s male and female fencers heading to St John’s University to compete at the NCAA Northeast regional. Success there will enable qualify individuals for the championships in San Antonio in two weeks time. As it did in 2012, the Crimson will be trying to send the maximum of twelve fencers to the championships. Given the national title is awarded as a coed team, every fencer will be needed to increase the chances of national team glory for Harvard.

Swimming

While the Crimson tries to end Princeton’s four year reign over the Ivy Championships this weekend, individuals will be looking to post NCAA ‘A’ qualifying times to guarantee them a spot at the NCAA Championships in Indianapolis at the end of the month. Sophomore Chuck Katis has already booked his ticket. The breaststroker is currently ranked in the top ten nationally over both 100 and 200 meters and will be seeking to prove himself on the national stage.

Women’s Hockey

Despite falling in the ECAC finals to Cornell, the Harvard squad will travel across town to Boston College on March 16th for the first round of the NCAA tournament. The game is their first appearance since the ‘09-10 season, when this year’s senior class fell to Cornell in the first round as freshmen. The winner of this match-up will travel to Minneapolis for the women’s Frozen Four.

Men’s Basketball

Yes, they’re going dancing again.

Men's BasketballFencingWomen's Ice HockeySkiingMen's SwimmingWomen's SwimmingSports Blog