Juszczyk Projected as Third/Fourth Round Pick

Kyle Juszczyk
Kyle Juszczyk
By David Freed, Crimson Staff Writer

With the NFL Draft happening later this week (the first round will be held on Thursday night), The Back Page is bringing you full coverage of Harvard’s lone notable prospect, former tight end and current fullback senior Kyle Juszczyk. To start the coverage off, staff writer David Freed previews what analysts have been saying about Harvard’s leading receiver from 2012.

After being projected as a late seventh rounder earlier in January, forecasts for Juszczyk have continued to improve over time. The fullback was invited to the Senior Bowl but not to the combine, but impressed at his Pro Day with a 4.71 time in the 40-yard dash and a vertical jump of 37 inches. According to nfldraftscout.com, 15 teams came to Juszczyk’s pro day and Gil Brandt of NFL.com wrote at the time “this showing will earn Juszczyk a draft selection somewhere in the fifth or sixth rounds.” Since, NFLDraftScout revised Brandt’s estimates to put the former tight end in the third or fourth round.

The consensus among experts is that the senior will go in the third to fourth rounds. In addition to CBSSports, which said that although he “isn’t a household name to fans, he is well-known in NFL scouting circles,” NFLDraftCentral also ranking him in the same area.

In his mock draft where he made himself the general manager of each team—allowing himself to make logical trades between teams and pick based on best fit at every position, ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. picked Juszczyk to go in the third round to the Miami Dolphins. Kiper Jr., who said that the Dolphins have a need for fullback, called Juszczyk “The best one in the draft.”

The Dolphins are one of twelve official visits that Juszczyk is making in the weeks leading up to the draft, according to The Baltimore Sun. The others were the Minnesota Vikings, Jacksonville Jaguars, Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts, Detroit Lions, Buffalo Bills, Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs, Baltimore Ravens, Seattle Seahawks, and the Carolina Panthers.

Sports Blog