Athletes of the Week Runners-up (Week of 4/8)

By Ty Aderhold

It was certainly a week for rookie success in Harvard athletics, as the Athlete of the Week and the two runners-up are all freshmen. With back-to-back complete games helping the Crimson softball team to victories over Princeton and Cornell this past week, freshman pitcher Jamie Halula earned herself Athlete of the Week honors. Here are two other Harvard athletes that had excellent performances this past week:

DJ Link, baseball

Freshman DJ Link had 10 hits, four RBIs, and five runs scored in the Harvard baseball team’s four games over the weekend. Link was key in Harvard’s come-from-behind victory over Cornell in the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader. With the Crimson down four going into the seventh inning, Link sparked a seven-run inning with a lead off walk and scored four batters later. Link was not done in the inning, however, as the Crimson were able to bat around. In his second trip to the plate, the freshman catcher smacked a single to right field to score two more runs. Link followed up Friday’s performance by registering a team-high four hits and scoring three runs in the Crimson’s wild 20-19 victory over Princeton on Sunday afternoon.

Charlotte Hendrix, women’s water polo

Playing in five games this week for the women’s water polo team, freshman Charlotte Hendrix ended the week with nine goals, 13 assists, and nine steals. In Sunday’s contest with Cal State Bakersfield, the rookie finished with a career-high 10 total points in Harvard’s 17-12 loss.  Those ten points consisted of three goals and seven assists, another career mark for the rookie. Just a day earlier, Hendrix helped the Crimson to a 12-6 victory over George Washington with three goals, an assist, and three steals.

BaseballWomen's Water PoloSports Blog