Best Sports Stories of the Semester

By Hope Schwartz, Crimson Staff Writer

It’s been a big year for the Crimson. Men’s basketball won its first ever NCAA tournament game and a Harvard alum won a Super Bowl. Club sports and concussions stole the limelight. From historic victories to teams in transition, the Back Page brings you the ten most interesting stories of the spring and encourages you to take a break from studying to enjoy the sun and take a look back on this semester in Harvard Athletics.

Leaving it All Out on the Field

As part of a multimedia push at The Crimson, writers Martin Kessler, Maya Jonas-Silver, and Jacob Feldman took a look inside the concussion policies of the Harvard Athletic Department and the NCAA. Complete with stories of athletes who have suffered through the injury and the recovery, this story looks at one of the most pressing and current issues in sports, both at the collegiate and the professional level.

From Harvard to Harbowl

This February, Baltimore Ravens center Matt Birk ’98 won a Super Bowl, ending a successful football career that took a four-year detour in Cambridge. This article, by Scott Sherman, looks back on Birk’s success with the Crimson and in Baltimore over the years.

Juszczyk Becomes First NFL Draft Pick Since Fitzpatrick '05

As Harvard’s most decorated tight end, Kyle Juszczyk was drafted 130th overall in the fourth round of the NFL Draft. Scott Sherman chronicles Juszczyk’s reaction to his selection and how he will continue Harvard’s legacy with the Baltimore Ravens.

Harvard Helps Spur the Growth of Ultimate

Did you know that the Red Line—Harvard’s club ultimate team—is nationally ranked? The Crimson’s Tanner Skenendarian breaks down the blood, sweat, and tears that go into winning a game. Find out about how the team is changing the face of ultimate in the United States and competing with professional teams along the way.

Alive in Memory

This season the Harvard baseball team took the field without the face of its program. Last spring, Joe Walsh passed away after 17 seasons with the Crimson and left a legacy of compassion and dedication. In this feature by David Steinbach, former players and the new coach talk about Walsh’s lasting presence that is still felt on the team, even in his absence.

Harvard Men's Basketball Upsets New Mexico, 68-62, To Win First-Ever NCAA Tournament Game

The 14th-seeded Crimson shocked the world when it emerged victorious over favored New Mexico in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. It was the first Tournament win in program history, as well as Harvard’s first win against a AP Top-10 team. The Crimson opened up a four-point lead going into the second half and overcame a close second half behind sharpshooting co-captain Laurent Rivard. Reporting from Salt Lake City, Scott Sherman brings you post-game analysis and reaction from the most decorated team in the history of Harvard basketball.

Football Searches for New Offensive Leader

When Harvard loses record-breaking quarterback Colton Chapple to graduation this spring, the team will be left with a glaring hole in its offense. Without Chapple, David Steinbach chronicles, Murphy will likely turn to rising senior Michael Pruneau and rising junior Connor Hempel to fill the void. Neither player has seen much playing time, and only time will tell who takes over. Crimson coach Tim Murphy talks about his vision for the future.

Doubles Pairs Propel Men's Tennis to Success

The Crimson repeated as Ivy League Champions this season, in large part thanks to its dominant doubles teams. This article, by Justin Wong, takes you inside the pairs of the men’s tennis team and doubles play, including how partnerships are formed and how they succeed depending on one another.

Cricket Squad Aims For National Title

The Harvard basketball team wasn’t the only Crimson squad that headed to a national tournament this spring. Alex Saich writes here about how the cricket club joined the 27 other top teams in the nation in Fort Lauderdale to compete for the Chanderpaul Trophy. Read all about how the club has navigated through its first year of official competition.

AROUND THE IVIES: Upset Potential in Ivy Men's Basketball

It’s hard to pick just one ATI as the most entertaining basketball column of the season, but this one beat out some close competition. Columnist Andrew R. Mooney hates on the Yale Daily News, Brown basketball, Ian Hummer, and so much more. Unfortunately for the Crimson, his prediction about Columbia beating Harvard turned out to be true.

Sports Blog