Athlete of the Week Runners-Up—September 23

By Julian Ryan, Crimson Staff Writer

After spending time behind the Brett Favre that was Colton Chapple, junior quarterback Conner Hempel had his Aaron Rodgers coming out moment this weekend throwing for four scores and over 350 yards against San Diego to earn this week’s top honors as Athlete of the Week. However, given Harvard has the most varsity sports of any school in the country, you can bet your bottom dollar there were other impressive Crimson performances over the past week.

Brandy Machado, Women's Rugby

Women’s rugby began its tenure as Harvard’s newest varsity sport with a hard-fought loss to Quinnipiac. However, Crimson fans will always be appeased by slaughtering our oldest Connecticut-based rival and the team certainly accomplished that. Harvard brought the smackdown to Yale behind a dominant five try performance by senior co-captain Brandy Machado resulting in an emphatic 84-0 victory.

Norman Hayes, Football

Junior defensive back Norman Hayes was all over the field this weekend, logging time throughout the backfield and even playing some snaps at linebacker, as he kept the Torreros’ offense at bay. Hayes finished the game with a total of twelve tackles, including two for a loss, and also grabbed an interception to seal the game late in the fourth quarter.

Sports Blog