Jimmy Vesey Nominated for Hobey Baker Award

By Kurt T. Bullard, Crimson Staff Writer

Sophomore forward Jimmy Vesey was nominated for the Hobey Baker Award, which was first commissioned in 1981 to recognize the nation’s most outstanding NCAA men’s ice hockey player. The namesake of the award, Hobey Baker, served in World War I and played ice hockey collegiately at Princeton.

Fans are able to contribute to the voting process through two phases. The first round of voting narrows down the field to 10 nominees and ends on March 9. The next and final phase of voting begins March 20 and ends before April 11, when the winner will be announced at the NCAA Frozen Four in Philadelphia. Fans are able to vote every 24 hours, and fan votes account for 1 percent of the total voting process.

Last year’s Ivy League Rookie of the Year has had a fast start in his sophomore campaign. Vesey leads the Crimson in goals and points on the season, with 10 and 14, respectively. Vesey has provided the game-winning goal in three of the team’s five wins this season thus far. The sophomore has also added four assists on the year and has registered a positive goal differential, despite Harvard’s losing record.

Vesey has also managed to stay healthy through the team’s 16 games this season. The second year player dealt with an injury for the latter part of last year’s season.

Vesey would be the first Crimson player to win this award since 1989, when left wing Lane MacDonald captured the award. The only other Harvard stars to receive this honor were Mark and Scott Fusco, a pair of brothers who did so in 1983 and 1986, respectively.

Men's Ice HockeySports Blog