Athlete of the Week Runners-Up: Week of 2/17

Senior Jasmine Evans, shown here in previous action, sparked the Crimson's win over Cornell on Saturday evening with her career-best 21 points.
By Caleb Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

Though it may have been an impossible task to beat men’s squash captain Brandon McLaughlin’s national title winning effort for this edition of the Crimson sports board’s Athlete of the Week, the runners-up did not disappoint with their respective weekend showings.

Jasmine Evans, Women’s Basketball

The Harvard women’s basketball team easily defeated the two Ivy League opponents that trotted into the Lavietes Pavillion this weekend, and Evans had a hand in both wins.

Coming off the bench against Cornell Saturday evening, the 5’9” guard led the Crimson with 21 points in 27 minutes and shot 7-of-11 from the field in the 84-69 win. She didn’t stop there, recording five rebounds—three of which were on the offensive end—two assists and three steals.

Though the Menlo Park, CA native only saw 17 minutes of action off the bench the previous day in a 99-64 rout of Columbia, Evans still led the team in assists with five and was tied for second in boards with five. While she is averaging 8.5 points per game on 39.6 percent shooting for the season, Evans has shot 57.1 percent from the field and scored 11.5 points per game in her past four tilts.

Steve Moundou-Missi, Men’s Basketball

It took two overtime periods to do it, but the men’s basketball team shook a pesky Lions squad, 88-84, on Friday night in New York. Not to be outdone by point guard Siyani Chambers’ 22 points, Moundou-Missi poured in 22 of his own in 38 minutes of play to go along with eight rebounds and two steals.

An 80 percent free throw shooter on the season, the 6’7” big man was on point against Columbia as well, sinking 8-of-10 from the charity stripe.

Though Moundou-Missi may not have been needed for the whole game in the Crimson’s 67-44 rout of the Big Red the next day, he was a perfect 4-of-4 from the field in the 23 minutes he was out on the court. Again, the sophomore from Yaounde, Cameroon recorded a pair of steals and was 2-of-3 from the line. With the two solid performances, Moundou-Missi now sports a 54.5 field goal percentage along and 5.4 rebounds per contest against Ivy League opponents.

Men's BasketballWomen's BasketballSports Blog