Men's Basketball's Saunders Named to ECAC All-Star Second Team

By Phil Delamater, Contributing Writer

The terrific run for Harvard men’s basketball continued last week, and in this case, it came in the form of an individual honor for one of its stars. Junior wing Wesley Saunders was named to the ECAC Division I All-Star second team, joining Billy Baron of Canisius, Aaron Craft of Ohio State, Bryce Cotton of Providence, and Malcolm Brogdon of Virginia on the select squad.

The award is the latest of many for Saunders, who has been a member of the All-Ivy League first team for the last two years. He was tabbed the Ivy League Player of the Year following an outstanding season during which he led the Crimson in points with 14.2 per game and finished second and third on the team in assists and rebounds per game, respectively.

Saunders has been one of the catalysts of Harvard’s historic success in recent seasons. He has earned the Raymond P. Lavietes ’36 Most Valuable Player Award for the past two seasons, on both occasions sharing the honor with point guard Siyani Chambers. During the Crimson’s back-to-back trips to the NCAA Tournament’s round of 32, the Los Angeles, Calif. native averaged almost 15 points per game in postseason play.

Saunders has been named Ivy League Player of the Week eight times in his career and currently ranks 31st all-time at Harvard with 1,012 total points for his career.

Past members of the ECAC Division 1 All-Star second team have included Oklahoma City Thunder guard Jeremy Lamb and Detroit Pistons forward Greg Monroe.

Men's BasketballSports Blog