Curry Signs with Dutch Team

Former Harvard co-captain Brandyn Curry '14 may get his first chance to play for the 15-time Dutch Basketball League champions on Sept. 10.
By Juliet Spies-Gans, Crimson Staff Writer

Joining the ranks of Oliver McNally ’12 and Keith Wright ’12, former Harvard men’s basketball co-captain Brandyn Curry ’14 will play the next leg of his hoops career on the opposite side of the Atlantic.

On Friday morning, it was announced that Curry had inked a deal with SPM Shoeters Den Bosch, one of nine current teams in the Dutch Basketball League and the winningest organization in DBL history.

"Curry is exactly what we were looking [for] at the guard position," stated SPM Shoeters coach Sam Jones in his team’s press release. "[He is a] playmaker who can lead his team. Curry is tactically and defensively very strong.”

Jones also praised the added height that the 6'1" Curry will bring to the squad’s undersized backcourt.

Last year for the Crimson, Curry averaged 9.4 points and 2.8 assists per game. The guard was an integral part of Harvard’s defensive efforts, ranking second on the team in steals with 1.4 per contest.

Curry’s ability to stretch the floor—he shot 37.3 percent from beyond the arc in 2013-2014—will translate well to the European game, which tends to reward shooters to a greater degree than its American equivalent.

The former Crimson standout will have his first chance to play the FIBA game on Sept. 10, when the SPM Shoeters visit BC Oostende.

Check thecrimson.com for updates.

Men's BasketballSports Blog