Athlete of the Week Runners-Up: Week of 10/26

By Manav Khandelwal, Contributing Writer

After spending two weeks on the sideline nursing an upper-body injury, senior wide receiver Andrew Fischer returned to action this past weekend with 10 receptions for 190 yards and a touchdown as the football team routed Princeton, 42-7, to stay undefeated. His strong performance, highlighted by an over-the-shoulder touchdown grab in the third quarter, earned him Athlete of the Week honors.

While the senior stood out on the football field, it was also a fine weekend for a couple of the Class of 2019’s female athletes during Freshman Parents’ Weekend:

Kathleen Young, Women’s Field Hockey

Freshman forward Kathleen Young’s performance in the Crimson’s 2-1 loss to Princeton was one of the brightest spots in the hard-fought defeat. She created the game’s first clear-cut scoring opportunity early in the first half, using her combination of shiftiness and strength to turn away from two Princeton defenders and round goalkeeper Anya Ersoff. She was unable to control the ball before the Tigers backs closed in, but it was a sign of things to come.

Just minutes later, Young finally got the goal her play deserved, sticking home the rebound from senior forward Elizabeth Jacobson’s penalty corner to give Harvard the 1-0 lead.

The Essex, Vt., native almost sent the Jordan Field crowd into a frenzy late in the second half with the score still knotted at one apiece. She picked up the ball deep in Harvard territory and used her speed to slalom through Princeton’s helpless defense. One-on-one with the goalie, Young’s stick got caught in the turf, spurning the opportunity, but it was a moment of individual brilliance from the young forward.

Young, who is third on the team with four goals and 10 points this season, will look to continue her form Wednesday against Boston University.

Caitlin Weigel, Women’s Rugby

On the rugby pitch, freshman Caitlin Weigel led the charge in the Crimson’s record-breaking win over Penn, scoring four tries as Harvard ran away with the game, 132-5.

Hailing from Hudson, Ohio, Weigel has emerged as an integral part of this Crimson squad which improved to 4-2 overall and 3-2 in Ancient Eight play. Her first score was part of an early spurt in which the Crimson jumped out to a commanding early lead, notching three tries in the game’s opening minutes.

Weigel was similarly influential in the team’s 111-5 win over Yale, converting three tries of her own and playing an integral part in a number of her team’s scores. She also tallied one of the team’s more memorable tries against Princeton, opening up the scoring with a 30-yard run through the Tigers defense.

Weigel’s unique blend of power and agility have made her one of the team’s most effective players, and the Crimson will certainly be relying on her talents during the Ivy League tournament and in the years to come.

Athlete Of The Week