Maschmeyer Represents Canada at Four Nations Cup

By Sam O.M. Christenfeld, Contributing Writer

While the Harvard women’s hockey team has been busy getting the 2015-2016 season underway in Cambridge, one of its stars has been occupied elsewhere. For the second year in a row, standout senior goalie and co-captain Emerance Maschmeyer left campus to compete for the Canada National Women’s team at the Four Nations Cup, played this year in Sweden.

The tournament pitted Canada against the United States, Finland, and the host Swedes. Maschmeyer picked up three starts and shined between the pipes for Hockey Canada. In the team’s opening game, the Alberta native tallied 17 saves to blank Finland, 2-0. She went on to start in a group stage matchup against the USA, which the Americans took, 3-0. Despite the loss, Maschmeyer totaled a .936 save percentage and a goals against average of 1.67 to help Canada reach the final, a rematch with the United States.

In the championship game, the Crimson senior turned away 30 shots, more than she had saved in the entire group stage. Her heroics were not enough to bring Canada the cup, however. The game advanced to sudden death overtime, and the U.S. scored 36 seconds into the period on a breakaway to hand Maschmeyer and Canada the silver medal.

Maschmeyer also featured for Canada in last year’s iteration of the tournament, starting in two games en route to a gold medal victory over the USA. The netminder saved 23 of the 24 shots she faced to help Canada go undefeated in the cup in 2014.

Last year’s success was not Maschmeyer’s first at the international level. The senior has represented Canada at the under-18 level and earned a gold medal at the 2012 IIHF World Women’s U18 Championships in the Czech Republic. She also featured for Canada’s under-22 squad in a three-game series against the United States. The goaltender has since made a number of appearances for her country’s senior team, including at the IIHF Women’s World Championships earlier this year, where Canada came away with silver.

Women's Ice HockeySports Blog