Athlete of the Week Runner-Up: Week of November 16th

By Sam O.M. Christenfeld, Crimson Staff Writer

Sophomore midfielder Christian Sady scored two goals over the weekend to lead Harvard men’s soccer to a 6-0 win over Penn and earn Athlete of the Week honors. Aside from the North Andover, Mass. native, four other Crimson athletes put in impressive performances this week to earn spots on the runners up list.

Oliver White, Men’s Soccer

Sady was not the only member of men’s soccer to turn in a strong performance, as teammate and senior forward White notched three assists and drew a penalty in Harvard’s rout of the Quakers. The attacker played a critical role in the team’s quick start to the game, setting up two goals in the first half to put the Crimson up, 4-0, at the end of the first period. White went on to create a penalty chance when he was brought down by the Penn keeper in the box and also assisted Harvard’s final goal of the night. The senior has contributed three scores of his own this season, as well.

Ben Braunecker, Football

Although the Crimson saw its 22-game win streak snapped by Penn, the senior tight end had a record-setting day as he ran for a career-high 134 receiving yards. The loss marked the fourth time in the last five games that Braunecker has tallied over 100 receiving yards, as the senior amassed nearly half of Harvard’s total yardage on the day by himself. The Ferdinand, Ind. native currently leads the Crimson in receptions, with 42, and has run for a team-high 762 receiving yards this season.

Shilpa Tummala, Women’s Basketball

The senior guard shined over the weekend, as she recorded a career-high 17 points in a loss to Maine. Tummala sank five of 10 three-point efforts and added three rebounds and two steals. This marked the 10th time in the senior’s career that she has racked up more than 10 points in a game.

Merrick Madsen, Men’s Ice Hockey

The sophomore netminder proved his worth in his third start of the season, as he turned away 38 shots to lead Harvard over Princeton, 3-0. The game marked the first time this year that Princeton has been held scoreless. Madsen has already recorded 81 saves this season while allowing just two goals, and the Crimson is 3-0-0 with the Acton, Calif. native between the pipes.

Athlete Of The Week