Three Things To Watch: Harvard-Ryerson

Captain Evan Cummins has increased production in recent weeks, scoring in double digits in four of the team's last five games. The senior has benefitted from increased pressure on junior forward Zena Edosomwan.
Captain Evan Cummins has increased production in recent weeks, scoring in double digits in four of the team's last five games. The senior has benefitted from increased pressure on junior forward Zena Edosomwan. By Marinda R. Horan
By David Freed, Crimson Staff Writer

After winning its Ivy League opener, the Harvard men’s basketball team (7-8, 1-0) looks to get back to .500 in the final contest of its five-game homestand against Ryerson (7:00 EST). Beat writer David Freed has three things to watch for in the Crimson’s penultimate non-conference game of the year.

CHANGE OF THE GUARD

Through the team’s first eight games, it appeared that freshman Tommy McCarthy had sown up the leading point guard spot for Harvard. After junior Matt Fraschilla went down with an ACL tear in the team’s second game, McCarthy and junior Corbin Miller were the only true point guards left on the roster. Harvard coach Tommy Amaker responded by giving his freshmen a longer rope, giving him at least 25 minutes or more in all but two of the first 10 games through long stretches of turnover-ridden play.

Recently, however, Amaker has begun to tighten the rotation. Since a six-turnover, zero-assist effort against Auburn, the freshman has struggled to get on the floor. Either because of foul trouble (Oklahoma, Wofford) or injury (Vermont), the freshman has not hit the 25-minute mark since the Auburn game. Backup Corbin Miller, by contrast, a steadier presence on the floor, has played at least 24 minutes in each of the last six games after hitting that mark just three times in the first nine contests. Against Ryerson, it will be interesting whether Amaker chooses to stick with the youngster if he struggles early.

LEADING FROM THE BACK LINE

In a Dartmouth game where his classmates exploded for career highs and 49 combined points, captain Evan Cummins’ contributions were a footnote. However, the unheralded captain has excelled recently, scoring in double digits in four of the last five games after accomplishing the feat just twice in the first 10 contests. He has developed good chemistry with junior forward Zena Edosomwan, who found Cummins four separate times for baskets against Dartmouth. Versus a small Ryerson front line, Cummins and Edosomwan should be able to be dominant.

CROSS-BORDER BATTLES

Ryerson is the second Canadian team that the Crimson has played in 2015-2016. In an earlier scrimmage against McGill, Harvard struggled, scrapping out a 66-63 victory on Nov. 7. Ryerson, who beat McGill by three in October, has been the better team thus far this season. The Canadian squad beats opponents behind the arc, shooting an average of 34 threes a game and converting 35 percent. More than half of their attempts come from behind the three-point line, as guards Ammanuel Diressa and Roshane Roberts take nearly 12 combined treys a game. The Crimson holds opponents to just 26.6 percent shooting from behind the arc while shooting 41.4 percent themselves, and the game will likely be decided behind the arc.

-Staff writer David Freed can be reached at david.freed@thecrimson.com.

PreviewsMen's Basketball