Five Women's Ice Hockey Players Honored by Ancient Eight

By Stuart Johnson, Contributing Writer

{image=1313466 size=fullscreen caption=true align=center}

Despite Harvard’s tough loss against No. 9/9 Colgate in the ECAC tournament quarterfinals over the weekend, there was still much for the players to celebrate. Five of the player’s for the Crimson earned postseason honors from the Ivy League.

Co-captain and goalie Emerance Maschmeyer, senior defender Michelle Picard, and junior forward Sydney Daniels were all named to the first team all-Ivy League team. Senior forward Miye D’Oench was named to the second team. Rounding out the list is sophomore forward Karly Heffernan who was named an honorable mention.

Maschmeyer, who was honored as both an All-American and Ivy Rookie of the year after the 2013-2014 season, was named to the first team for the third year in a row. Hailing from Bruderheim, Alberta, Maschmeyer had a record setting senior season. Maschmeyer finishes her college career eclipsing the career saves record set by Erin Villiote (1991-95) with 2,448 saves. Maschmeyer also finishes her college career with the career second best save percentage (.941) and second best goals-against average (1.65).

Picard would finish her career at Harvard with an Ancient Eight first team selection, which is the first of her career. The Taunton, Massachusetts native was honored with a honorable mention in 2013. Picard’s experience of 129 games over the span of her career was a major factor in the Crimson defense averaging only 1.5 allowed goals per game in Ivy League play.

Southwick, Massachusetts native Daniels provided experience and valuable play from the left-wing all season. In Ivy League play the emerging junior found the back of the net for nine scores, as well as serving up two assists. With 21 goals Daniels led the Crimson in this category as well as recording 31 points in the season. Daniels finished the season with 0.64 goals per game, which was the ninth best average in the entire country.

D’Oench, no stranger to the bright lights as a native of New York City, shined under the arena lights this season. The senior forward received her first post-season honor after a stellar season. D’Oench led the Crimson with 37 points this season, 14 goals and 23 assists contributing to the senior’s point total.

Heffernan, sophomore from Sherwood Park, Alberta, had a solid season for the Harvard. The honorable mention is the first post-season honor that the sophomore has received from the Ivy League. Heffernan scored eight goals and dished out 16 assists for the Crimson this season, four of the goals and 5 of the assists were against Ancient Eight opponents.

Women's Ice HockeyWinter Season Recaps