Athlete of the Week Runners Up: Gabby Thomas, Marisa Romeo

By Meg Leatherwood, Contributing Writer

An impressive weekend for Harvard athletics saw outstanding performances from a number of athletes. Freshman Dean Farris of the men’s swimming and diving team and junior Merrick Madsen of the men’s hockey team were awarded co-Athletes of the Week recognition. However, Gabby Thomas of women’s track and field and Marisa Romeo of women’s lacrosse also had notable performances, earning them Athlete of the Week runners-up honors.

GABBY THOMAS, WOMEN’S TRACK AND FIELD

Saturday proved to be yet another distinguished day for sophomore sprinter Thomas at the Hurricane Collegiate Invitational, hosted by the University of Miami. The all-American placed first in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.34 seconds. Her time marked the fastest recorded in the East region for the event this season. It was also just four-hundredths of a second slower than her previous personal record in the event, which is a Harvard school record.

Not only did Thomas medal in the 100-meter, but she also played a record-setting role in the 4x400-meter relay. The Massachusetts native, along with teammates Jade Miller, Zoe Hughes, and Karina Joiner, placed fourth in the relay event. Their time of 3:42.12 was enough to break the top-10 for the fastest recorded times in school history.

Thomas also participated in the 4x100-meter relay with Miller, Joiner, and Ngozi Musa. The group set another school record with a time of 45.43 seconds. The time earned Thomas and the others sixth place and marked the third fastest time in the history of the Crimson’s program.

MARISA ROMEO, WOMEN’S LACROSSE

Senior attacker Romeo scored four goals in Saturday’s game to lead the Harvard women’s lacrosse team to a 10-8 victory over Cornell. Adding to her high-scoring act, Romeo had two assists on the day. The Syracuse native has now recorded 37 points and 27 goals on the season. Romeo’s strong performance this weekend also added the 10 assists she has put up in the first eight games of the season.

Romeo’s solid showing was also enough for her to pass Kaitlin Martin, class of 2009, on the Crimson’s all-time leading scorers list. Romeo is now ranked fourth with 141 career goals.

Women's LacrosseTrack and Cross Country