Men's Basketball Will Face UNC Tar Heels in Upcoming 2018-2019 Season

Co-captain Steve Moundou-Missi had six points and five rebounds in 38 minutes of play in the loss.
By Henry Zhu, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard men’s basketball will travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., in the upcoming 2018-2019 season to play the University of North Carolina Tar Heels, according to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports.

This will be the second time in the past four years that Harvard coach Tommy Amaker will square off against UNC’s Roy Williams. The two teams last met in the Second Round of the 2015 NCAA Tournament, where the Tar Heels narrowly edged out the Crimson 67-65. In that contest, senior guard Wesley Saunders notched 26 points and junior guard Siyani Chambers drained a late-game three to put Harvard ahead by one heading into the final minute of action.

However, then-freshman Justin Jackson of No.4 UNC ended No.13 Harvard’s hopes at an upset, knocking down a jumper and fast-break layup to survive its opening-game scare.

The Crimson is no stranger to playing nationally-ranked programs on its home court, having challenged then-No. 5 Kentucky on Dec. 5 this past season and then-No. 1 Kansas in 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Despite staying competitive in contests against larger-conference opponents this season, Harvard was unable to earn a victory against teams such as Minnesota, Saint Mary’s, and Kentucky this season.

As to the full 2018-2019 season schedule, Crimson supporters will need to wait until the summer to make plans. If abiding by past precedent, August will be earliest the official schedule is confirmed.

Harvard will return its current talented sophomore class, including AP All-American honorable mention winner Seth Towns, as it seeks to return to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since that 2015 matchup against UNC.

Additionally, the Crimson will welcome a 2018 recruiting class led by ESPN four-star guard Spencer Freedman. Ontario native Noah Kirkwood will also reunite with fellow Canada U19 teammate and current Harvard freshman Danilo Djuricic, joining St. Louis native Kale Catchings and Californian Mason Forbes to round out Amaker’s 2018 recruits.

Men's Basketball