A Time to Choose

When Good Men Do Nothing

April 24, 2012

Today, Cardinal Jaime L. Ortega, the head of the Catholic Church in Cuba, will speak privately with a group of undergraduates and publicly in the JFK Jr. Forum at the Institute of Politics. The Cardinal, only the second in Cuba’s history, was criticized recently in a blistering editorial in The Washington Post for being “a de facto partner of Raul Castro,” but based on the advertisements for today’s event, you wouldn’t know why. Cardinal Ortega, in the publicity materials sent out by the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies and the Harvard-Radcliffe Catholic Student Association, was described in a rosy biography as “instrumental in opening a dialogue with the Cuban government [and] negotiating the release of political prisoners.” The description failed to mention that the Cardinal did not object to the prisoners’ forced exile to Spain, nor did it mention his other failures to protect political dissidents in Cuba. The full story ought to be told.

Read more

The Clock Strikes Midnight

April 10, 2012

Since World War II, the European continent and Western Europe in particular have been attempting to build a new society, one that would provide the institutions to solve the persistent problems of the past. With massive amounts of aid from the United States, the European recovery from the devastating war was a success. Industry grew, education was reformed and expanded, and with rapid economic growth, European governments could easily afford to provide generous benefits to their citizens and grow the state. Looking forward, it appeared that Europe was destined to converge with the United States. Instead, it diverged, falling away from its global rivals throughout the 1990s and collapsing in spectacular fashion during the Great Recession.

Read more

Left Unsaid

March 27, 2012

As the “Kremlin on the Charles,” Harvard is famous for its liberal reputation and infamous for its intolerance of dissenting opinions. When prospective freshmen arrive at the activities fair each year at Visitas, the most common question they ask at the Harvard Republican Club’s table is not “What activities do you have?” or “How many members do you have?” but “Can I be conservative here?”

Read more

Polarization Problems

March 06, 2012

If Americans remember one thing about their government from the summer, it is the fierce and drawn-out debate over the debt ceiling and fiscal future of the United States. Approximately six months later however, the president seems to have forgotten. He’s been fighting against Congress for six months, but he won’t even mention what they were fighting about. In the State of the Union address, the big three entitlement programs—Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security—received one mention in a speech that lasted well over one hour, despite the fact that they are the largest drivers of the federal debt by a wide margin. In the Republican response, it took Governor Mitch E. Daniels (R-IN) a mere few minutes to point out the glaring omission: “So 2012 is a year of true opportunity, maybe our last, to restore an America of hope and upward mobility, and greater equality. The challenges aren’t matters of ideology, or party preference; the problems are simply mathematical, and the answers are purely practical.”

Read more