Pot Brown-ie, Texans Packing Heat, and a Whole Lot of Money

Around the ivies
Around the ivies

The quick and dirty about what's been going on around the Ancient Eight (and some other schools too).

Three Brown alums are planning on opening a medical marijuana "compassion center" in North Kingston, RI. They have applied to the state for one of three permits that will be issued for such a center. They said they expect to be able to sell their product for as little as $280 per ounce to 600 patients and project their annual revenue to exceed $2 million dollars.

It seems likely that students and professors at Texas colleges and universities will soon be allowed to carry guns on campus. It is predicted that the state will soon pass a law forcing its 38 public universities to let members of the community bring weapons onto campus grounds. There are over 500,000 students in the Texas public higher education system. Many proponents of the change suggest that more guns on campus would reduce the likelihood of a situation similar to what happened at Virginia Tech in 2007. Others however, express reservations about the mix of students, guns, and campus parties.

Students at Penn State raised over $9.5 million to help fight pediatric cancer in a massive dance marathon. The event, sponsored by fraternities and sororities, consisted of 708 students dancing for a total 46 hours. The total this year was almost $2 million more than was raised last year. In the 34 years since it was first held, the event has raised more than $70 million for the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.

Around the Ivies Plus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.