Emma Watson, Sexual Harassment, and Luring

•
Around the ivies
Around the ivies

The quick and dirty about what's been going on around the Ancient Eight (and other schools too).

The presence of a camel at a University of Pennsylvania fraternity during Spring Fling—the university's annual spring celebration notorious for drunken debauchery—sparked controversy after a university affiliate reported it to the media.

George Leslie—a postdoctoral fellow—said that he saw the camel as he passed by the Zeta Psi fraternity. Leslie told the Daily Pennsylvanian that the fraternity "was packed full of people, all around the camel" and "girls were groping it, and they were drunk."

According to the Daily Pennsylvanian, an investigation into the incident launched by the university later cleared the fraternity of any wrongdoing.

New details recently surfaced regarding actress Emma Watson's announcement that she was taking time off from Brown University. The New York Daily News reported that classmates heckled the star—who has said on her personal blog that she "want[ed] to be normal." When the actress answered a question in class, classmates would respond with references to her Harry Potter persona, with quips such as "Three points for Gryffindor!" The New York Daily News also reported that the star was "stalked" by Harvard students at a Brown-vs.-Harvard football game this past fall.

A spokeswoman for Watson said last week that the actress would not be returning to Brown, and instead planned to transfer to another college in the fall.

Yale University President Richard Levin announced the creation of an advisory committee to investigate a complaint filed by 16 students that the university has a "hostile sexual environment." In an email sent to Yale students, Levin wrote that the committee would advise him on "how sexual harassment, violence, or misconduct might be more effectively combated at Yale." The student complaint is currently under investigation by the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.

Tony Kadyhrob—a 68-year-old white male who has been charged with the attempted abduction of a female student at Rider University—was found "luring" near Princeton University earlier this month. Police found Kadyhrob—who was banned from entering any New Jersey school property as a condition of his bail—in Princeton Borough. He was later released because he had not been seen on university or school property and had therefore not violated the terms of his bail.

Kadyhrob has since become a joke among Princeton students. Recently, someone created a fake Twitter account for Kadyhrob with the description "Caught, still luring though."

CrimeYaleAround the Ivies PlusCelebritiesSex

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.