In Defense of Bad Tattoos

Last week's Arts cover focuses on the intersection of tattoo artists and their human canvases. Despite the cultural and aesthetic importance of tattoos, an informal survey of the internet suggests that people are just as interested (if not more so) in terrible tattoos rather than great ones. There are dozens of websites devoted to collecting misspelled, ugly, or strange pieces, usually complimented by snarky one-liners. So, for a change of pace, here's a brief defense of some of the worst offenders.

1. Your significant other's name.

Tattoos are forever, just like your love. And if not, then there's a pretty good chance you'll meet another "Jennifer," and when you do, you'll have the perfect icebreaker.

2. A "tramp stamp."

I've never understood why people get so riled up about these. They're easy to hide when your Grandma comes around, and just as easy to reveal when she finally goes home and the rager can start up again. Everyone wins.

3. Lion, tiger, or bear face tattoo.

Come Halloween, you're the coolest guy around. Come Christmas, you still are. You've got a freaking face tattoo.

4. Marilyn Monroe portrait.

Megan Fox did it. Thus, it's hot. Extra points for turning it into a face tattoo.

5. The mythical "Penicorn."

Actually, you'll probably regret this one.

6. "Nintendo" knuckle lettering.

If you're a hardcore nerd, people are going to find out about it. It can either be when you have an asthma attack at a school dance, or it can be when they see your sweet knuckle ink. Which would you rather?

7. A phrase in another language whose meaning you just barely grasp.

Mystery is important to keep a relationship interesting. This principle applies even more so when the relationship is between you and the skin on your ribcage.

Visual ArtsArtsCultureCovers

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.