Head of the Charles '09

By Kate Leist

A STONE’S THROW

In a family synonymous with rowing, sophomore Robbie Stone, pictured here in the stroke seat during his high school days, is looking to carrying on the family tradition at the Head of the Charles Regatta.

WITH BATE-D BREATH

This weekend at the Head of the Charles, Lizzy Bates and her older sister Sarah will continue their family’s strong rowing tradition. Lizzy will row for Radcliffe lightweight varsity eight, while Sarah will race in the singles competition. The Bates sisters’ brother, David, rowed for the Naval Academy.

DRY MARTIN-I

Harvard men’s lightweight captain Martin Eiermann has established a balanced and idiosyncratic lifestyle for himself at Harvard. The German native not only leads the Crimson lights in practice and competition, he also impresses friends with his bread-baking abilities and contributes to a German political website in his spare time.

Walk-Ons Climb the Crimson Ranks

Most bright-eyed Harvard freshmen arrive in the Yard determined to make the most of their college experience by trying something new and different. Some learn a new language, some pick up dance or find a cause to advocate, and some find their way to the top of a nationally-ranked crew program.

When the Crimson’s top men’s lightweight crew pushes off at this weekend’s Head of the Charles Regatta, it will hold three men who showed up at the boathouse looking to try something new and found a passion that would dictate the course of their college careers.

Read more »
1-5 of 12
Older ›
Oldest »