Out of Left Feld

For Football, It's Time for the Real Game to Begin

November 18, 2014

Let’s go through what we know first, and then we can talk about why none of it matters much.

1. The Harvard football team is your 2014 Ivy League champion. With a 34-24 win over Penn Saturday, the Crimson clinched a share of coach Tim Murphy’s eighth Ivy title and moved one game away from a perfect season.

Read more

Football Rides Defensive Effort to Eighth Win

November 11, 2014

I walked into Harvard Stadium Saturday expecting not to learn anything about the Crimson football team during its matchup with 0-7 (now 0-8) Columbia. I walked out of the Stadium admitting I had been wrong.

Of course the game was the blowout everyone expected, a 45-0 win only because Harvard (8-0, 5-0 Ivy) did not want to score anymore in the fourth quarter. The Lions still have not scored on the Crimson since 2011 and have won just four games in those four years.

Read more

Defense Leads Historically Dominant Harvard Squad

November 05, 2014

At the end of this column (no peeking), I am going to write something I never expected to see in this paper this season.

I certainly would not have predicted this column before the season started, back when so many fresh feet were tasked with filling such big cleats on defense.

Read more

Unbeaten Football Escaped a Sloppy Saturday

October 15, 2014

The goal of a good sports story is to make you feel like you were at the event, or at least make you wish you were. After Harvard football’s 24-7 win over Cornell at Harvard Stadium Saturday, I can’t write that kind of story.It would be impossible to convince readers that they should have gone to the game and just plain rude to force them to relive it.

Crimson games normally boast the intricacy and cohesion of a Rembrandt or a Leonardo. Saturday’s action, on the other hand, was like one of their famous works soaked in water until the paint ran everywhere.

Read more

Late Controversial Penalty Aids Football to Victory

September 30, 2014

The whistle blew. The flag flew. The crowd booed. And booed.

That’s the story. But what happened?

Read more

STANTING TALL
Football

Harvard-Yale 2014

Playing with the Rules
Scrutiny

Playing With The Rules

Highlight

Title IX Complaints in Higher Education

Art Museum Feature
Visual Arts

Newly Opened, Art Museums Prepare To Engage Undergrads