Out of Left Feld

Unbeaten Football Escaped a Sloppy Saturday

10 days ago

The goal of a good sports story is to make you feel like you were at the event, or at least make you wish you were. After Harvard football’s 24-7 win over Cornell at Harvard Stadium Saturday, I can’t write that kind of story.It would be impossible to convince readers that they should have gone to the game and just plain rude to force them to relive it.

Crimson games normally boast the intricacy and cohesion of a Rembrandt or a Leonardo. Saturday’s action, on the other hand, was like one of their famous works soaked in water until the paint ran everywhere.

Read more

Late Controversial Penalty Aids Football to Victory

September 30, 2014

The whistle blew. The flag flew. The crowd booed. And booed.

That’s the story. But what happened?

Read more

First Impressions Still Create Questions for Team

September 22, 2014

Conner Hempel. Wow. That offensive line. Jeez.

That’s the best way to describe the Harvard football team’s season-opening 41-18 win against Holy Cross on Friday. Sometimes, verbs aren’t necessary.

Read more

Ivy League Football Schedule Ready for Remake

September 11, 2014

By the end of this column, you will understand why the Ivy League schedule is going to change, and why I have to start by talking about pre-term planning.

The tool that tries men’s souls, a Cthulhu-like nightmare worthy of True Detective, pre-term planning has no proper historical or cultural precedent. Except maybe Frankenstein’s monster, since Dean of Undergraduate Education Jay M. Harris called the program “horrible” two years after witnessing its profane creation

Read more

Hodges Looks To Lead Crimson's Charge

September 05, 2014

You have never seen senior Zach Hodges quite like this, you might have thought if you went to Harvard football practice this week.

Maybe you have seen Hodges line up many times, hands on the turf like an elite sprinter, ready to attack his prey with unmatched ferocity.

Read more

Free Time
Columns

In Search of Lost Time

Photo Man
Ivy League

Beyond The Silver Screen

Larry, In His Element
Scrutiny

Professor Summers

Data Sculpture
Visual Arts

Painting by the Numbers: Data Visualization