Out of Left Feld

Parting Shot: The Losses That Matter

May 28, 2015

March 30, 2011, was a dreary day in Winston-Salem, N.C.—cold, gray, and wet—but that didn’t stop me from getting to BB&T Ballpark early. The Class-A Winston-Salem Dash were hosting the Chicago White Sox, and I was in desperate need of a distraction. After nearly four years of high school, I was about to move a step closer to finding out where I would head next as the last college admission decisions were supposed to come in any minute.

I remember little from the day, except for constantly refreshing my phone, huddling by some heat lamps in the concourse, and the stomach-drop feeling I got during our drive home when I found out that I had gotten into Harvard.

Read more

Men's Basketball Copes with Heartbreaking Ending

March 25, 2015

How do you prevent a bad ending from ruining everything else? How do you remember a season for what it was rather than how it concluded?

These are not rhetorical questions. I really don’t have answers.

Read more

Men's Basketball Season About More Than Final Tallies

March 17, 2015

{image id=1305083 size=large caption=true}

This column is going to get a little vague and philosophical. It will be interesting, maybe even insightful, but not necessarily compelling. So let’s start small, as small as we can get. Let’s start with the flick of the wrist—co-captain Steve Moundou-Missi’s wrist, to be specific.

Read more

Both Teams Get Second Chance in Ivy Playoff

March 12, 2015

This Harvard men’s basketball season has had more downs than ups. That’s the downside of past success and high expectations. So it was only fitting that the Crimson’s biggest high came not during a game but 62 minutes after one, while the team’s seniors ate pizza and a few other players lingered in Lavietes Pavilion, glued to iPhones and laptops, hoping against hope for something else to break their way.

Those hopes cashed in when Dartmouth beat Yale with a buzzer-beater to force an Ivy League playoff between the Bulldogs and the Crimson this Saturday with a trip to the NCAA Tournament on the line.
In doing so, the Big Green ensured that this Harvard season will not be forgotten, regardless of what happens at the Palestra Saturday afternoon.

Read more

Formerly Retired Penn Football Coach Joins Lions

February 25, 2015

It still does not look real, the image of former Penn football coach Al Bagnoli standing at a podium in front of a bunch of Columbia logos.

Bagnoli, in the foreground, is second in wins and conference titles in Ivy League history. He had three perfect seasons at Penn before calling it quits at the end of last season.

Read more

You Are a Tourist
Highlight

You Are a Tourist

Beauty After Ruin
Highlight

Beauty After Ruin

Harvard Ed Portal Opening
Highlight

Year In Review 2015

Fischer Touchdown
Highlight

Year in Sports 2015