Out of Left Feld

Ivy League Football Schedule Ready for Remake

10 days ago

By the end of this column, you will understand why the Ivy League schedule is going to change, and why I have to start by talking about pre-term planning.

The tool that tries men’s souls, a Cthulhu-like nightmare worthy of True Detective, pre-term planning has no proper historical or cultural precedent. Except maybe Frankenstein’s monster, since Dean of Undergraduate Education Jay M. Harris called the program “horrible” two years after witnessing its profane creation

Read more

Hodges Looks To Lead Crimson's Charge

September 05, 2014

You have never seen senior Zach Hodges quite like this, you might have thought if you went to Harvard football practice this week.

Maybe you have seen Hodges line up many times, hands on the turf like an elite sprinter, ready to attack his prey with unmatched ferocity.

Read more

Princeton in Prime Position for Ivy Football Title

November 15, 2013

This Saturday’s Harvard-Penn game could have been the biggest of the year, another de facto Ivy League Championship Game in a long line of them. But then the Quakers played the fourth quarter last week.

Penn had jumped out to a 16-0 lead over Princeton at Franklin Field and held a lead midway through the third quarter. Then the Tigers pounced. The Quakers’ 23-17 advantage turned into a 24-23 deficit, and then a 31-23 hole. Princeton’s defense held Penn to 41 fourth-quarter yards while the visitors pulled away from the defending Ivy champions, 38-26.

Read more

Injury-Plagued Football Squad Relies on Gritty Backups

November 05, 2013

Just before Saturday’s postgame press conference, an extra chair was added to the front of the room. Then the Harvard players walked in, including co-captain Josh Boyd and fellow fifth-year senior Nnamdi Obukwelu, who account for over 500 lbs. combined. But wedged in between them, occupying the extra seat, was walk-on kicker Andrew Flesher, the blonde and bespectacled 6’3”, 190 lb. junior.

Flesher did not even plan on playing football when he first got to campus. He thought he was going to play golf, but decided to walk on after talking with Crimson coaches. Saturday, that decision paid off, as his 23-yard chip shot from left of the fairway lifted Harvard past Dartmouth, 24-21.

Read more

OUT OF LEFT FELD: Changing of the Guard in Ivy League Football

October 27, 2013

The final notes were the same, but the songs were completely different.

Just like last year’s rendition, the 106th edition of the Harvard-Princeton game ended with Roman Wilson catching a touchdown pass from Quinn Epperly.

Read more

Facebook at Puzzle Day
College

This Is CS50.

GSD picture
Visual Arts

Intelligent Design: Negotiating the Identity of the Architecture Track

django unchained scene
Visual Arts

Script Doctors

Harvard vs. Yale
Yale

Freshman Survey Part V: A Look at New Haven