Emily Miller, Title IX Coordinator

Illustration based on an interview with Emily Miller, one of Harvard’s Title IX Coordinators.  
Poem - “Sowing” by Audre Lorde.
Illustration based on an interview with Emily Miller, one of Harvard’s Title IX Coordinators. Poem - “Sowing” by Audre Lorde.
By Alison B. Reed, Contributing Writer

Source of inspiration: Every major civil rights social movement is in some way a source of inspiration…. So much change can come from a movement, a person, an effort, just an idea born out of a single conversation.

A meaningful work of art: Anything by Audre Lorde.

Favorite movie: I can go really dark and tell you about a horror film that I like, but I’m not going to do that even though it seems seasonally appropriate. I do like scary movies. But I also don’t want to be so trite as to be like, “A League of Their Own”.... I think my favorite movie is “Big Fish.” It’s super weird but really touching.

Favorite book: “Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury.

Superpower of choice: Flight, for sure. It’d just be so convenient.

Poem - “Sowing” by Audre Lorde.
Illustration based on an interview with Emily Miller, one of Harvard’s Title IX Coordinators. Poem - “Sowing” by Audre Lorde. By Alison B. Reed

When not working: I go to law school at night…. But when I’m not doing that, I eat at Area Four in Kendall Square a lot with Liz Angowski and Leanna Barlow. I also try to do… things like be outside when that’s an okay thing to do. I like to go to the gym. I like to cook. I really like to cook. And I am kind of a… domestic homebody on weekends sometimes, where I just want to, like, get my life in order and do laundry and cleanup. But when I do go on adventures, I like to enjoy seasonally appropriate activities. I also really like going to Canobie Lake Park in New Hampshire. It’s an amusement park, and I make my friends go a lot. So basically, I’m 12: My favorite book is a book I read when I was 12, and my favorite activity is rollercoasters.

If you could have lunch with anyone, who would it be? My maternal grandmother, Susan B. Anthony, because Susan B. And Michelle Obama. Yeah, I think that’s my line-up: Three ladies. It’s a power lunch, and we would definitely go to Tasty Burger.

Favorite food: The not-pepperoni pizza at Area Four.

Best piece of advice received: Introduce yourself like this other person should know who you are.

ColumnsArts