The Feminist Closet

Speaking Up and Out

10 days ago

“I feel like you always talk about LGBTQ stuff.”

Yeah, ‘cause I’m queer AF.

Read more

​Requeermended Playlist

July 27, 2017

“THIS IS SO GOOD!!! I NEED MORE QUEER ARTISTS WRITING SONGS ABOUT QUEER ROMANCE!!!”

“This song is so important to me. It's helped me realize my sexuality... So in 2016, in June, in pride month, I just wanna say, I'm pansexual and proud.”

Read more

Take Pride or Fake Pride?

July 13, 2017

In early June, I went to Target with some friends. By the front entrance of the store was a display of their Take Pride collection, featuring rainbow flags, clothes, and accessories. I spent a few minutes exploring the collection, in awe of the bright colors and loud designs, trying on a rainbow hat that had caught my eye.

These displays of Pride are not limited to Target. For the past month, my Facebook feed has been inundated with sponsored ads for Pride merchandise, from rainbow sneakers to heart-shaped necklaces. Some companies have created ads featuring members of the LGBTQ community, including same-sex couples and trans people. Others have paid to sponsor and participate in Pride marches. As more companies celebrate Pride month, we ought to closely examine how corporations have impacted the movement for LGBTQ equality.

Read more

Pride and Prejudice

June 29, 2017

June 28, 1969

Police arrested 13 people while raiding the Stonewall Inn, a gay bar in New York City.

Read more

Love is an Open Door?

April 27, 2017

“Look, Becina, this room has two closets: one for your clothes, and one for you!”

One of my friends told me this a few weeks ago as we toured upperclassmen dorms. I couldn’t stop laughing for the rest of the tour. Nothing beats a good closet joke.

Read more