The Other Lin Girl

Harvard Sings All the Way Home from Princeton

Yesterday

­If you passed a bus heading from New Jersey to Cambridge on Saturday night with the soulful tunes of Frank Sinatra booming out, don’t be surprised. According to Harvard football coach Tim Murphy, after road victories, the offensive linemen will sing anything on the bus ride home, from “Sinatra to rap.”

“It’s amazing, it sounds pretty good,” said Murphy about the linemen singing.

Read more

Women's Basketball Will Miss Senior Captain

March 26, 2014

Playing in just her second Ancient Eight game ever, then-freshman guard Christine Clark caught a pass from senior guard Brogan Berry, drove into the lane, and pulled up for a jumper with four seconds to go. One defensive stand later, and the women’s basketball team survived a road test at Columbia, 69-68.

Fast forward three years. Similar situation, different personnel—of that original starting lineup, only Clark remained.

Read more

AROUND THE IVIES: For Football, It All Comes Down to This

November 22, 2013

Hopefully, when Tim Murphy and Buddy Teevens worked together at Maine almost 30 years ago, they listened to a lot of Beatles music together.

In particular, track two from Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Read more

Lions Still Looking for a Win

November 12, 2013

With a Columbia quarterback, wide receiver, and linebacker sitting at the postgame press conference following Harvard’s 34-0 trouncing of the Lions, a reporter asked about the elephant in the room.

“Is playing the game still fun for you guys anymore?"

Read more

Mathews Wins Quarterback Battle, Loses War

October 15, 2013

Saturday’s matchup didn’t seem like a fair battle. When the Harvard football team came running onto Schoellkopf Field, four offensive starters—quarterback Conner Hempel, running back Zach Boden, and offensive tackles Anthony Fabiano and Parker Sebastian—had one thing in common: all were dressed in warm-ups.

Comparing a backup quarterback who had never started a collegiate game leading an injury-riddled offense with the one-man show of Cornell’s offense seemed like matching David against Goliath.

Read more

Hockey
Men's Ice Hockey

Hockey Preview 2014

The Oval
Scrutiny

Seeing Red: Stanford v. Harvard

blood handprint
Arts

Dead Letter: The Aesthetics of Horror

Election Strategy
Columns

Where Did All The Ideas Go?