The Stock Less Monster

By Jack Stockless

Time for Ivy League to Consider Playoff Football?

Before the Harvard football team strapped on the pads and took the field for its week one game against the University of San Diego, it was already eliminated from playoff contention.

No, it’s not that the Crimson was projected to be so bad that any hope of success was an afterthought. Rather, the team plays in the Ivy League, the only football conference at the Division I level that opts out of advancing any of its teams to the postseason. For anyone unfamiliar with the yearly crowning of the Ancient Eight champion, the team with the best in-conference record automatically claims the glory. But actually not quite — if two teams (or three, or four…) conclude their seasons with identical records, there is no tiebreaker system and the teams simply share the designation of Ivy League champions.

Read more »

COLUMN: NFL's New Rule Changes Are Geared Towards Player Safety, Despite Fan Resistance

In March, the NFL approved a change to its policy on hits to the head. Under the revised rule, “players who lead with the crown of their helmets to initiate contact against an opponent on any play” will incur automatic 15-yard penalties for their respective teams and may be ejected from the game “depending on the severity of the hit” according to an NFL.com article from March 27.

There is still no targeting rule in place, which in the college game results in an automatic ejection for any player who is deemed to have led with his helmet in making a hit. However, it appears as though the NFL is trending in that direction.

Read more »

No One Could’ve Predicted This Season for Football

On Sept. 27, I assured Crimson fans that they did not have to worry about the quarterback situation in Cambridge.

Read more »
1-5 of 7
Older ›
Oldest »