War Preparations, Thefts, and a Beauty Contest

•
1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every Friday, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

Feb. 12, 1942: Faculty Vote Sanctions Compulsory Exercise

A system of compulsory athletics, even to the extent of some military drill, a grim suggestion of the University's policy of military training in the first World War, will start immediately after spring vacation for all undergraduates, according to an official announcement yesterday from Director of Athletics William J. Bingham '16.

Under the new program, all undergraduates except present Seniors and those who are physically unfit will be required to take one hour of supervised physical training a day four times per week.

Hourly classes, which will include calisthenics, marching drills, and informal games, will probably be held at hourly intervals at Soldiers Field from 11 o'clock in the morning until 5 o'clock in the afternoon. Although plans are not complete as yet, this training may include climbing walls and jumping ditches under the direction of military officers.

Feb. 14, 1948: Police Catch New Coop Suspect in East Boston Trap

Local police investigators yesterday predicted quick and complete solution of the $50,000 Coop robbery with possible discovery of the entire loot, after State, Boston, and Cambridge forces staged a well-laid trap at a Carver Street, South End, hotel which resulted in the capture of a second suspect.

Besides turning up an envelope containing "a substantial amount of cash" police said they had learned how the bandits escaped from the robbery by switching cars in Central Square.

No arrest had been made as of last night, police reported, as the captive, a 47-year-old Boston man with a record of 30 previous convictions, was full of narcotics when captured, and is being "soaked out" before formal charge are filed.

Feb. 14, 1959: Barnard, Moors Refuse To Enter 'Cliffe Best-Dressed Girl Contest

Two 'Cliffe dormitories, Barnard and Moors, have refused to submit candidates to the Radcliffe Percussion's contest for the College's best-dressed girl, calling the competition "against Radcliffe principles."

Percussion, which requested each of the nine dormitories to enter a candidate, will select one girl later this month to represent the College in Glamour magazine's contest for the ten best-dressed college girls in America. Six dormitories have chosen candidates, with Comstock Hall planning to announce its two entries next week.

In describing the contest, Percussion quoted Glamour's ten basic points for a well-dressed girl. Among the qualifications were "good grooming--not just neat, but impeccable," an "appropriate campus look, in line with local customs," and an "appropriate--not rah rah--look for off-campus occasions."

Feb. 16, 1978: Antique Clock Is Stolen from Dana Palmer House

Thieves broke into the Dana Palmer House on Quincy St. Sunday morning and stole an 18th-century Welsh grandfather clock police valued at $50,000.

A University police spokesman said yesterday two or three burglars apparently entered Dana Palmer House about 3 a.m. Sunday and removed the clock, which was on loan from the Fogg Museum, from the building's first-floor hallway.

The spokesman did not say whether anyone was in the building, which is frequently used as a guest house for the Faculty, at the time of the theft.

—Compiled by Kerry M. Flynn and Julie M. Zauzmer

CrimeHistoryGender and SexualityQuadArchivesCoop

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.