Adams House Shouldn't Be Selective

•
1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every Friday, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

Feb. 25, 1914: Concert and "Movies" in Union

The postponed concert will be given by the Thomas A. Edison Company who will demonstrate their phonograph in the Union this evening from 7.15 to 8.15 o'clock.

Motion pictures illustrating Captain Scott's disastrous Antartic expedition will be shown in the Union Friday evening at 8 o'clock. This film, found by the rescuers, who came too late to save Captain Scott's party, presents one of the most interesting motion pictures in existence.

Feb. 21, 1919: No Holiday Will Be Granted for Wilson's Arrival Monday

No holiday is to be granted by the University for President Wilson's arrival Monday. Although business in Boston will be suspended at least for two hours during the parade in honor of the President, no respite will be granted the College.

An effort has been made by the League of Nations Society in conjunction with the University Diplomatic Club to get the President to speak at the University. No official action, however, has been taken by the University authorities. Mr. Hunnewell '02, Comptroller of the University and Secretary to the Corporation said yesterday he knew of no invitation and thought it extremely improbable that any action would be taken.

President Wilson according to present plans will make but one public address and that is at Mechanics Hall. Admission to the hall will be by ticket. Those desiring tickets may procure them by application to the Mayor's office. They will be given out until the hall is filled.

Feb. 24, 1961: University Offers Extension Course to Sailors on Nuclear Submarine

A record number of registrants, including half the crew of a United States Naval vessel, have enrolled in the University Department of Extension Courses' Spring Program.

More than 6,300 extension students, the largest group receiving instruction under University auspices, will be able to choose from 13 different Spring courses. All courses count for credit toward the unique degree of Bachelor of Arts in Extension Studies.

A novel feature of this year's program makes possible University instruction for the United States Navy. The University will offer for credit, a kinescoped TV course to Naval personnel aboard the nuclear submarine "George Washington."

"The Anatomy of Revolution," part of a TV extension series given last year by C. Crane Brinton '19, McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History, was "canned" and send aboard the "George Washington" last fall. More than half of the 100 men in the crew have registered for the course.

Feb. 24, 1972: Dormitory Chic

Elitism manifests itself in many ways in a place as competitive as Harvard. We have final clubs, selective majors and, of course, the admissions process itself. One of the most ludicrous forms of elitism here is the annual scramble by freshmen to be admitted into one of the "prestige" Houses—those Houses which have more applications than spaces every year.

Four students living in Adams House, which has traditionally been one of the most over-subscribed Houses, have taken a praiseworthy step toward ending the aura of prestige there. The four—David L. Johnson '74, James M. Downey '74, John E. Baker '74 and Ronald Beaulieu '73—are proposing an end to the admissions procedures which purport to select the students best suited to live in Adams House.

Under the proposal, the present admissions process, which involves written applications, interviews and recommendations solicited from the House's staff and members, would be replaced by a random lottery of those freshmen who had picked Adams House as their first choice. This system would make desire to live in the House the only criterion for admissions. Beyond this, all applicants would be placed on an equal footing. A first-choice lottery would also serve the demands of the students rather than the demands of the House. As Johnson put it, "What the House needs and the traditions of the House are not nearly as important as the needs of the students."

—Compiled by Kerry M. Flynn, Nikita Kansra, Jared T. Lucky, and Julie M. Zauzmer

House LifeFilmPoliticsAdamsHarvard in the WorldHistoryTechnologyArchives

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.