Senior Bars Were Just Too Wild

•
1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every Friday, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

April 21, 1953: Moscow University Gets Sacred Ibis

Threski, the Lampoon's Sacred Ibis, now rests in Russian territory.

Semyon K. Tsarapkin, Deputy Representative of the U.S.S.R. in the United Nations, accepted the Ibis on behalf of the Russian Government yesterday at Russian Delegation Headquarters on 680 Park Avenue, New York City.

Michael Maccoby and George S. Abrams, CRIMSON President and Managing Editor who made the presentation on behalf of the Lampoon, expressed the hope that the Lampoon's Ibis would find its final resting place on one of the spires of the new Moscow University, to be opened next fall.

Mr. Taarapkin and Mr. Svirin, first secretary of the delegation who acted as interpreter, indicated they would send the bird to Moscow immediately and voiced thanks from the U.S.S.R. for the gift.

April 20, 1970: Admissions Heads Say Rise in College Costs Causes Applications Dip

Applications for admission to Harvard and Radcliffe declined by about six per cent this year-the first time in several years that applications have not risen.

Harvard received applications from 7979 students this year, a decline from 8536 last year. Radcliffe applications went down from 2723 last year to 2538 this year.

Acceptance letters to 1450 prospective members of the Harvard class of 1974 were mailed out last Friday. Harvard accepted 114 blacks for the class, as compared to 109 for the Class of 1973. Radcliffe's acceptance of blacks rose slightly, from 51 last year to 54 this year.

Both Harvard and Radcliffe administrations officials cited rising costs of going to the colleges as one of the principal reasons for the decline in applications "As state universities get better and better, parents have a hard time trying to justify sending their son or daughter to Harvard or Radcliffe when their children could attend a state university for half the price," commented David K. Smith '58, director of admissions at Radcliffe.

April 20, 1973: Radicals Give Ec Hiring Brief To Commission

Several radical groups yesterday submitted to the Commission of Inquiry a detailed brief describing alleged political biases in the hiring policy of the Economics Department.

The Commission has not yet discussed the brief or decided whether to investigate the Economics Department, but Commission chairman James S. Ackerman, professor of Fine Arts, said last night that he thinks "this kind of charge is within the jurisdiction of the Commission."

The brief came in response to a request by Ackerman earlier this week that the groups give the Commission more detailed information on a similar but less specific complaint they filed April 13.

The earlier complaint--signed by SDS, the New American Movement and the Union of Radical Political Economists--asked the Commission to investigate "systematic political biases" in Faculty hiring practices and in the University's policy toward the Afro-American Studies Department.

April 20, 1983: Senior Bars Reappear With Less Publicity

A lively Harvard spring rite, the senior bar, is once again underway, albeit with less fanfare than in previous years

Because of an agreement between House Masters and Senior Class Marshalls, the traditionally popular week-night parties are not being publicized in hopes of keeping them under control

Last year, several of the parties got out of hand when many underclassmen showed up uninvited, having heard about the bars through schedules distributed by the senior class committee

This year, however, the dates and times of the 17 bars scheduled thus far are being closely guarded by Masters and senior tutors

Turnout for the affairs, says one Senior Class Marshall, Ingrid D Jacobson '83, should be "a lot more reasonable."

The senior bar tradition started about five years ago when some enterprising party-throwers served a different drink in each room during spring-time bashes, according to M Theresa Frick '83, who organized a senior bar last night

Nowadays scarcely a day goes by in the springtime when a bar isn't held to provide bored outgoing seniors something to do in their final days at Harvard.

The bars noted back are "one of the role of spring that everyone is involved with.

—Compiled by Hana N. Rouse and Nikita Kansra

CollegeHarvard in the WorldAdmissionsUniversity FinancesFinancial AidHeadlinesAnimals on CampusProtests

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.